Emails/Forums Say My IP is X, Avast Says My IP is Y...How Possible?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In Gmail and Yahoo! Mail, my IP address is listed as X (not going to post it for obvious privacy reasons) when I search "recent activity" in my account settings. Various forums (where I can see it) also corroborate X.

However, when I use Avast Premium Security's WiFi Inspector, which scans my network, it says there are several devices logged into it. My laptop (only one of its kind) has an IP of Y (and none of the other devices have an IP of X).

How would it be possible that my anti-virus protection says my IP is one thing and other presumably trustworthy sources say it's something else?

Answers and Replies

You have a router which gives out one IP and since your computer and other devices are plugged into it or wirelessly connected to it they will have one IP address relative to the router network usually 192.168.xx.xx

Likes kyphysics and Vanadium 50
You have a router which gives out one IP and since your computer and other devices are plugged into it or wirelessly connected to it they will have one IP address relative to the router network usually 192.168.xx.xx
192....is right....won't comment on the other part (for now).

Is taht some standard IP for ALL routers? How did you guess that right? If it's really all the same, does that open up easy tracking or hacking then? I thought people liked to keep IP private from others?

The 192.168 usage has been common to closed networks as far as I know. Hence its useless for tracking.

Your routers public IP is trackable though as a necessary feature of internet usage.

https://192-168-1-1ip.mobi/

Likes kyphysics and Vanadium 50
pasmith
Homework Helper
The 192.168 usage has been common to closed networks as far as I know. Hence its useless for tracking.

192.168.x.x is one of the three ranges reserved for private networks. By design data sent from or to such an address does not travel over the internet. That's why your router has a different public-facing address assigned by your ISP.