Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Embedded fonts from LaTex to PDF

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

I am submitting a pdf and am generating it in LaTex, specifically I'm using TeXShop. Instructions on submission say:

"Ensure that all fonts are embedded in the PDF file and that only Type 1 or TrueType fonts are used. In addition, any offeror who creates files using TeX or LaTeX is required to first create a DVI file and then convert the DVI file to Postscript and then to PDF."

Does anyone know if this requires additional work on my part or if this automatically happens when I typeset?

Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You need to choose the "TeX and Ghostscript" option in the Typeset menu. That will go the dvi -> ps -> pdf route.

You could also use packages such as times, \usepackage{times}, which will typeset everything in postscript fonts.

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Thanks for responding DrClaude!

So will both of your suggestions accomplish the same thing?

I ask because I do not have the "TeX and Ghostscript" option. I only have:
    Plain TeX
    LaTex
    BibTex
    MakeIndex
    MetaPost
    ConTeXt
    ConText (LuaTeX)
    LuaLaTeX
    nv-metafun
    nv-metapost
    pdflatexmk
    sepdflatexmk
    XeLaTeX
    XeTeX

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4

DrClaude

They should both result in a portable PDF document.

I got the info from a manual for an older version of TeXShop. That option may no longer be available. What you can do is try LaTeX, then open the resulting PDF in Acrobat and select File -> Properties to see which program created the PDF. If you see "dvips" or "Ghostscript" there, then it should be correct.

6. Dec 11, 2016 #5

joshmccraney

Gold Member

I did this and I see "PDF Producer: pdfTeX-1.40.14". Under "Fonts" it does show that all are embedded and either TrueType or Type 1, so would there be a reason to have to use the dvi->ps->pdf?

7. Dec 11, 2016 #6

DrClaude

Probably not. It could be that someone got a bad PDF once and decided to issue strict rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted