Embedded fonts from LaTex to PDF

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Pdf
In summary, the conversation is about how to properly submit a PDF file that has been generated using LaTex. The instructions state that all fonts must be embedded and only Type 1 or TrueType fonts should be used. It is recommended to use the "TeX and Ghostscript" option in the Typeset menu, or use packages such as times to ensure postscript fonts are used. However, some users may not have this option and can check the PDF properties to see which program was used to create the file. It is unlikely that using the dvi->ps->pdf route is necessary if the fonts are already embedded and in the correct format.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am submitting a pdf and am generating it in LaTex, specifically I'm using TeXShop. Instructions on submission say:

"Ensure that all fonts are embedded in the PDF file and that only Type 1 or TrueType fonts are used. In addition, any offeror who creates files using TeX or LaTeX is required to first create a DVI file and then convert the DVI file to Postscript and then to PDF."

Does anyone know if this requires additional work on my part or if this automatically happens when I typeset?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to choose the "TeX and Ghostscript" option in the Typeset menu. That will go the dvi -> ps -> pdf route.

You could also use packages such as times, \usepackage{times}, which will typeset everything in postscript fonts.

Thanks for responding DrClaude!

So will both of your suggestions accomplish the same thing?

I ask because I do not have the "TeX and Ghostscript" option. I only have:
Plain TeX
LaTex
BibTex
MakeIndex
MetaPost
ConTeXt
ConText (LuaTeX)
LuaLaTeX
nv-metafun
nv-metapost
pdflatexmk
sepdflatexmk
XeLaTeX
XeTeX

joshmccraney said:
So will both of your suggestions accomplish the same thing?
They should both result in a portable PDF document.

joshmccraney said:
I ask because I do not have the "TeX and Ghostscript" option. I only have:
Plain TeX
LaTex
BibTex
MakeIndex
MetaPost
ConTeXt
ConText (LuaTeX)
LuaLaTeX
nv-metafun
nv-metapost
pdflatexmk
sepdflatexmk
XeLaTeX
XeTeX
I got the info from a manual for an older version of TeXShop. That option may no longer be available. What you can do is try LaTeX, then open the resulting PDF in Acrobat and select File -> Properties to see which program created the PDF. If you see "dvips" or "Ghostscript" there, then it should be correct.

DrClaude said:
What you can do is try LaTeX, then open the resulting PDF in Acrobat and select File -> Properties to see which program created the PDF. If you see "dvips" or "Ghostscript" there, then it should be correct.
I did this and I see "PDF Producer: pdfTeX-1.40.14". Under "Fonts" it does show that all are embedded and either TrueType or Type 1, so would there be a reason to have to use the dvi->ps->pdf?

joshmccraney said:
I did this and I see "PDF Producer: pdfTeX-1.40.14". Under "Fonts" it does show that all are embedded and either TrueType or Type 1, so would there be a reason to have to use the dvi->ps->pdf?
Probably not. It could be that someone got a bad PDF once and decided to issue strict rules.

Likes member 428835

1. What is an embedded font in LaTex?

An embedded font in LaTex is a font that is included in the final PDF document generated from a LaTex file. This means that the font will be embedded in the PDF file and can be viewed and printed by anyone who opens the document, even if they do not have the font installed on their computer.

2. Why do I need to embed fonts in my LaTex document?

Embedding fonts ensures that the document will be displayed correctly on any computer, regardless of whether or not the font is installed. This is especially important if you are using non-standard or custom fonts in your document.

3. How do I embed fonts in LaTex?

To embed fonts in LaTex, you need to use the "pdflatex" command instead of the regular "latex" command when compiling your document. This will automatically embed all the fonts used in your document in the final PDF file.

4. Can I embed any font in LaTex?

Yes, you can embed any font in LaTex as long as it is in a format that is compatible with LaTex, such as TrueType or OpenType fonts. However, it is important to note that not all fonts are free for commercial use, so make sure to check the font's license before embedding it in your document.

5. How do I know if the fonts are successfully embedded in my PDF?

To check if the fonts are embedded in your PDF, you can open the document and go to "File" > "Properties" > "Fonts". This will show a list of all the fonts used in the document and indicate if they are embedded or not. You can also try opening the document on a different computer to ensure that the fonts are displaying correctly.