Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emergent string based space time

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    What is spacetime? Where does it come from? Oft asked questions here.

I recently posted the summary of a Scientific American article (found by Marcus) under the thread title, Emergent Quantum Spacetime,
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=294666

Here is another view of how space time that appears to match our universe MIGHT emerge, this time from string theories rather than quantum theory. It is UNPROVEN!!!!! These excerpts are from THE TROUBLE WITH PHYSICS, Lee Smolin, 2007, pages 153 to 160, and offers fascinating insights on what it might take to "create spacetime" from string theory.
    An interesting feature is that electric and magnetic flux (of branes) stabilizes extra dimensions!!!!!

I apologize for the length, but the theoretical insights are worth the read. For one thing, this is the next step past M Theory, from five or so string theories to Maybe 10500 or so!!!

(parenthetical comments are my own for clarity)
    # Renata Kallosh, Andrei Linde, Shamit Kachru and Sandip Trivedi

This explanation has attributes similar to the Emergent Quantum Spacetime in that both seem rather complicated with rather extensive requirments; I'd hope eventually we find a simpler set of emergent conditions from which spacetime can evolve....

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    Has anyone seen the research paper discussed? Anyone seen any other reputable information regarding how anti matter might contribute to a positive cosmological constant...that is, repulsive gravity? How about any research/information on how electromagnetic flux might stablize the dimensions of space??? Anyone know why branes come equipped with electromagnetic flux?? Is it required to stabilize the brane??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook