Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A concept of time with the future as an emergent property

1. Apr 15, 2015 #1
    I was watching a video on youtube with a theory of time, the video explains 'Time' as a physical process supported by mathematics)
    I wanna know what you think about this? Pseudoscience, or have any validity?

"Could the future be an emergent interactive property with 'time' formed by the spontaneous absorption and emission of light photon energy? A continuous process of energy exchange that forms the ever changing world of our everyday life. The Universe is a continuum with the future coming into existence photon by photon with each new photon electron coupling or dipole moment. This forms the movement of positive and negative charge with the continuous flow of electromagnetic fields. Consciousness in the form of electrical activity in the brain is the most advanced part of this process and can therefore comprehend this process as 'time'. With a past that has gone forever and a future that is always uncertain in the form of a probability function or quantum wave particle function that is explained mathematically by Schrödinger's wave equation Ψ. Therefore each individual is in the centre of their own reference frame as an interactive part of this process being able to look back in time in all directions at the beauty of the stars! It is this personalization of the brain being in ‘the moment of now’ in the center of its own reference frame that gives us the concept of ‘mind’ with each one of us having our own personal view of the beauty and uncertainty of life. At the smallest scale of this process this uncertainty is seen as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle ∆×∆p×≥h/4π with the Planck constant ħ=h/2π being a constant of action in the dynamics of space and time!"

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... it is on youtube, therefore it starts out in the junk category and needs some heavy-lifting to be considered worthy of a further look. Why would anyone think it isn't junk?
    What sort of video is it - i.e. is it; off someones vlog, a recording from a TV program (seems likely: which program, when did it air, which station?), from a college lecture series, or something else?

Note - the quoted passage is a bit of poetic nonsense and does not actually mean anything.

4. Apr 15, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First of all: Always provide references. Do not simply state "I watched a YouTube movie". Link it! Otherwise we have absolutely no reference.

Second: The internet is full of crap. In particular YouTube and other sources where anyone can upload anything. Be very sceptical with anything that is not from an accredited source.

5. Apr 15, 2015 #4
    Source: watch?v=qvTgSJAMtOU

sorry, I'm a non phycisist, I'm studying physics, and I end up reading too much pseudoscience on the Internet .. I just want to make sure

6. Apr 15, 2015 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks for the link - it's junk.

7. Apr 15, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are studying physics you should know the value of not getting carried away with pop-sci stuff or pure <<Moderator note: Self censorship>>. Instead, do it the good way, study what is in textbooks and given in courses and what you can find through reliable sources. YouTube is not a reliable source.

Regarding the video itself, the very first words give it away as a pure crackpot: "I am on the www promoting my theory on the physics of time ..."
    The choice of user name is also a dead give away: "An artist theory on the physics of 'Time' as a physical process. Quantum Atom Theory"
    Seriously?

8. Apr 15, 2015 #7
    I ended up watching unintentionally this video
    thanks for the answers!!

9. Apr 15, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A good thing to keep in mind is at 2:39:

This is one of a small percentage of YouTube videos worth watching.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook