Emotional response when listening to instrumental music

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of music in triggering emotional responses and whether these responses are based on individual experiences or hard-wired in the brain. It also touches on the importance of intervals in music and the mathematical aspects of scale development. The question of whether emotional responses to specific intervals are biological or learned is also raised.
Destrio
When listening to instrumental music, do the specific chords/tones/cadences trigger specific emotional respone from the brain, or would any emotions attached to music be related to an experience related to that music.

ie. would E- to D+ trigger a specific emotion, or would it depend on each person's individual experience on which emotion music would portray?

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't have any education in this field, but my personal opinion is that most reaction to music is experience-based. There will certainly always be particular sounds that are soothing, and others that are irritating. I'm not sure that one can actually demarcate where 'sound' ends and 'music' begins. A violin can quite accurately mimic the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard, and a bass oboe once sounded enough like one of my 5-megaton beer farts that it scared my wife off of the couch. On the other hand, rain on a tin roof can be very comforting.

I think certain combinations of notes trigger responses that are hard-wired in the brain, rather than triggering memories of experiences. This would explain why people with radically different backgrounds and experiences sometimes react in a similar manner to specific music.

The other side of that, though, is that some music is associated with particular circumstances and can thus evoke the emotion that was present when it became prominent. It is somewhat similar to scent in that regard. For instance, whenever I hear 'Born to Run' I can feel that 440 throbbing and my hand on the shifter. Likewise, I'd probably get as horny as a mink if a warthog strolled up wearing 'Sung' perfume, because that's what the ex-from-hell used.
On the other hand, I love everything that Simon & Garfunkle did except 'Bridge Over Trouble Water', due entirely to a total ***** of a music teacher that I had in grade 8. I hate that song because it reminds me of her.

As for tonality, one of Asimov's essays dealt with a mathematical way of determining pleasant note combinations for songwriting.

As a quick aside - During the 1500's and up to JS Bach's time, there were many different musical scales developed. You actually have to retune your instrument to a Pytharogrean tuning for older pieces, for example. For harpsichord, or other multi-stringed instruemnts, this is painful.

As far as actual scales go, it is the relation of one pitch to another that we listen to, not the absolute pitch, so there are no wolf tones in thirds, for example. Dissonance ala Charles Ives is a whole 'nother issue.

google for 'Margo Schulter' and read her essays on tuning and musical scale theories.

Last edited:
jim, are you sure it's because instruments in that day weren't just made for one particular key?

But yes, music is about intervals, not so much absolute notes. Going from A to C should sound very similar to going from D to F.

What I can't say is whether this is a learned "response" or whether it's biological. i.e. do we just pick up that a minor third is a sad interval, or is it ingrained in us?

Music is definitely about intervals. The modern 12-tone scale is a mathematical solution to the problem of approximating scales to natural harmonics.

Regarding the happy-major-third / sad-minor-third question of biological versus learned response, hopefully someone has done (or will do) an experiment out there. Any grad students?

Last edited:

1. What causes emotional responses when listening to instrumental music?

There are a few factors that can contribute to emotional responses when listening to instrumental music. Some of these include the melody, rhythm, tempo, and dynamics of the music, as well as the listener's personal experiences and associations with the music.

2. Can instrumental music elicit different emotions in different people?

Yes, instrumental music can elicit different emotions in different people. This is because each person has their own unique set of experiences and associations with music, which can influence their emotional response to it.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for why instrumental music can evoke emotions?

Yes, there are several scientific explanations for why instrumental music can evoke emotions. One theory is that music activates the limbic system in the brain, which is responsible for processing emotions. Additionally, music can also trigger the release of hormones and neurotransmitters that are associated with emotions.

4. Can instrumental music have a positive impact on emotional well-being?

Yes, instrumental music has been shown to have a positive impact on emotional well-being. Research has found that listening to instrumental music can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, and can also improve mood and promote relaxation.

5. Are there any differences in emotional responses to instrumental music compared to music with lyrics?

Yes, there can be differences in emotional responses to instrumental music compared to music with lyrics. Since instrumental music does not have lyrics, the listener may rely more on the melody, rhythm, and other musical elements to interpret and evoke emotions. Additionally, the meaning of lyrics can also influence emotional responses to music with lyrics.