Employment Prospects of a BSc in Space Science

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
CrunchBerries
Messages
58
Reaction score
8
Is a BSc in space science regarded as a valid/competitive degree? It looks like a relatively newer degree. I am currently in Space Science, which is a major in Pnysics with a focus on orbital mechanics and space mission management.

Basically I am just looking for an industry outlook/opinion on employment opportunity vs regular phys and eng degrees.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the best ways to assess something like this is to look at graduates from your program. Where are they ending up? Are they all moving on to graduate programs? What industries and companies are they finding work in? What percentage of graduates struggle to find work after graduation? Most departments will keep statistics on these kinds of things.

In my personal experience, it's better not to specialize too much as an undergraduate. What doors are open to you as a graduate of this program that would not be open to a graduate of a typical honours physics program?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DEvens
I agree with Choppy. Since you're mentioning that it is new, then a good follow up approach would be to look at the jobs catching your attention and crosschecking your curriculum with it. I worked at one of the commercial companies that works on space hardware, but my degree was very broad and my breadth seemed really selling during the interview; other coworkers don't seem to have specialized degrees, but I am mostly guessing based on our conversations. Myself and the coworkers I speak of are engineers.
 
In case you are wondering how to find out where graduates wind up, as Choppy suggested. What you want is _Physics Today_ or some such magazine. They have a feature showing exactly this information. Find out from your university librarian what magazines exist in your particular area of study.
 
Thanks guys, i alpreciate your input. Ill inquire as suggested.

Thanks a lot!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Choppy