1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering physics employment prospects

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I recently developed an interest in the engineering physics program. The best engineering physics program in Canada is at UBC and U of T: take a look at the courses http://www.engphys.ubc.ca/courses/course-tables/ [Broken] All the courses sound very interesting to me, and it definitely sounds like the perfect program for me, plus it's the only engineering physics coop program in Canada. The only reason that I'm reluctant is because of employment opportunities. My ultimate goal is an R&D position, it seems as an engineering physics degree would be best for me.

How are the job prospects for this degree? Is it too broad (jack of all trades) that employers won't hire you? I am debating between electrical and mechanical engineering, which engineering physics encompasses (plus mechatronics and computer engineering). Would it be better to go into an old fashioned field (electrical or mechanical) for R&D? Salary does not matter, I'm sure any job title with engineer in it pays decent enough. Will I be able to apply for electrical engineering or mechanical engineering specific jobs? I've done a job search, there are very few jobs that specially demand an engineering physics degree, so I'm a little worried.

It's just that this degree sounds the most interesting, it's broad and you can specialize in so many things such as microelectronics, photonics, plasma physics, optics and laser, mechatronics, etc. The best of both worlds. I'd like to read people's opinions on this degree. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    Engineering physics is the creme de la creme of engineering, but that looks more like engineering physics with electronics. meaning too little math too much electronics.

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    So what would be a good engineering physics program? What is supposed to be a good eng phys program?

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    There is no good or bad. I guess it depends on what master you want to take.

Sweden's most prestigious engineering/science school Royal Institute of Technology has this curriculum:

http://www.kth.se/student/kurser/program/ctfys/ht11/arskurs1?l=en_UK

Then you can pick a master (2y) in anything from theoretical physics to aerospace engineering.

Dont worry too much about the courses almost all engineering degrees are the same in the beginning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook