Energy and Angular Momentum of a Relativistic String

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Becker, Becker, and Schwarz involving the calculation of energy and angular momentum for a given equation. The attempted solution results in a discrepancy of a factor of pi^2, leading the speaker to believe it may be a typo in the book.
dodelson
The problem is 2.1.b in Becker, Becker, and Schwarz. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong... any help would be appreciated, I'm probably missing something dumb.

Homework Statement

For [tex]X^0=B\tau[/tex], [tex]X^1=B\cos \tau\cos\sigma[/tex], [tex]X^2=B\sin\tau\cos\sigma[/tex], [tex]X^i=0[/tex] for i>2, compute the energy and angular momentum and show that [tex]E^2|J|^{-1}=2\pi T[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]E=P^0[/tex]
[tex]P^\mu=T\dot{X}^\mu[/tex]
[tex]J^{\mu\nu}=T\int_0^\pi d\sigma\, {X}^\mu\dot{X}^\nu-{X}^\nu\dot{X}^\mu[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E=T\dot{X}^0=BT[/tex],
[tex]J^{12}=B^2 T\int_0^\pi d\sigma\,\cos^2\tau\cos^2\sigma+\sin^2\tau\cos^2\sigma=\frac{\pi}{2}B^2T[/tex]
[tex]\frac{E^2}{|J|}=\frac{2T}{\pi}[/tex],

which is off by a factor of [tex]\pi^2[/tex]. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matthew

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm actually fairly convinced that this is a typo in the book, so don't spend as much time on it as I did...

1. What is the concept of energy and angular momentum in a relativistic string?

The energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string refer to the total amount of energy and rotational momentum possessed by the string as it moves at relativistic speeds. This is a concept that arises in the field of theoretical physics and is used to describe the behavior of strings in the context of special relativity.

2. How is the energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string calculated?

The energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string can be calculated using mathematical equations derived from the principles of special relativity. These equations take into account the string's velocity, length, and tension in order to determine its energy and angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of energy and angular momentum in a relativistic string?

The energy of a relativistic string is important because it represents the amount of work that can be done by the string. The angular momentum, on the other hand, describes the string's rotational motion and is important in understanding how the string behaves under different conditions.

4. Can the energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string change?

Yes, the energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string can change depending on its interactions with other objects or forces. For example, if the string undergoes a collision or experiences a change in velocity, its energy and angular momentum will also change.

5. How does the energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string compare to that of a non-relativistic string?

The energy and angular momentum of a relativistic string are different from that of a non-relativistic string due to the effects of special relativity. Relativistic strings can experience changes in energy and angular momentum that are not observed in non-relativistic strings, making their behavior more complex and requiring unique mathematical formulations.