Energy as rate-of-phase-change

• Thread starter jjustinn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the fundamental relationship between phase and energy in quantum mechanics states that energy is the rate of change of phase. This can be seen in photons and electrons, where their energy is proportional to the rate at which their phase clock turns. However, interpreting this relationship can be challenging due to uncertainty relations and other concepts like wave/particle duality. Additionally, the application of this relationship in special relativity can be complex. Overall, the simplicity of this relationship is intriguing, but its implications and interpretations can be difficult to fully grasp.
jjustinn
I came across this very intriguing statement in another thread:

The_Duck said:
...you...may be interested to know, the fundamental relationship between phase and energy in quantum mechanics. Energy is the rate of change of phase. For instance, when the "phase clock" of a photon turns at a given rate, that is because the photon has a certain energy that is proportional to this rate. (The proportionality factor is h-bar. You can verify that multiplying h-bar by a measure of rotation rate like Hz gives you units of energy). Electrons, too, and indeed all particles, have a phase clock. Just as with a photon, an electron's energy is how fast its phase clock is turning.

I vaguely recall seeing this elsewhere, and there is something extremely seductive about it -- if nothing else, its ratio of simplicity to explanatory / predictive power is pretty massive.

However, I'm having trouble with the interpretation / ramifications, and I think it comes back to uncertainty relations / Fourier duality -- and maybe also wave/particle duality.

For instance, even the statement that there is a "rate of change of phase" poses some difficulty -- because what is it that "has" this phase? I suppose if you took the integral of a wavefunction's energy over any region at time t=a, you could say that this is the instantaneous rate of change of that wavefunction's "phase in that region", but can you even define "phase" in a region -- or for that matter, at an instant? I suppose you can take it a step further and integrate over a 4-volume, and then somehow have an "average" phase / energy over that 4-volume, but being an average, the value it would necessarily be less precise the larger the volume (and therefore, the more 'confident' you can be of the value)?

Or am I totally over-complicating this?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is basically one aspect of de Broglie. He postulated (extending from photons) that E is proportional to an intrinsic frequency. As mass increases relativistically with velocity, frequency increases. That rule is quite simple.

The trick is to get this all to work with SR, since a moving clock runs slower -- phase velocity has to increase, beyond c, to compensate. (Read his thesis for a better explanation.)

You may be overcomplicating. I believe the intended meaning is that "rate of change of phase" is frequency, which has to be measured over an extended waveform, with operators, etc.

What is "Energy as rate-of-phase-change"?

"Energy as rate-of-phase-change" refers to the amount of energy required for a substance to change from one phase (such as solid, liquid, or gas) to another. This energy is known as the latent heat of the substance and is specific to each phase change.

How is "Energy as rate-of-phase-change" measured?

The energy required for a phase change is measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). For example, the latent heat of fusion, which is the energy required for a substance to change from solid to liquid, is measured in J/g or cal/g.

What factors affect the energy required for a phase change?

The energy required for a phase change is affected by the type of substance, the amount of the substance, and the temperature at which the phase change occurs. For example, the energy required for water to change from liquid to gas is different from the energy required for iron to change from solid to liquid.

How does "Energy as rate-of-phase-change" impact daily life?

"Energy as rate-of-phase-change" is important in many everyday activities. For example, the energy required to melt ice influences how long it takes for an ice cube to turn into liquid water. It also plays a role in cooking and food preservation, as well as in the operation of appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners.

Can "Energy as rate-of-phase-change" be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, "Energy as rate-of-phase-change" can be harnessed for various practical uses. For example, geothermal energy uses the latent heat of the Earth's core to produce electricity. Similarly, phase change materials (PCMs) are used to store and release heat energy for temperature regulation in buildings and other applications.