Energy being Converted to Mass

• B
  • Thread starter Theudius
  • Start date
Why is it that when energy is converted into mass we must make equal amounts of anti matter as matter during pair production?

Answers and Replies

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Are you aware of the various conservation laws that have to be obeyed, or are you asking why these conservation laws must be obeyed?

Hi, I'm aware that charge, baryon number, lepton number, energy and momentum must be conserved. Yeah I should have asked why these laws must be obeyed.

Nugatory
Mentor
I should have asked why these laws must be obeyed.
It is an experimental fact that the universe we live in obeys these laws. As for why we live in a universe that obeys these laws and not some other laws.... that's not something that science can answer.

(Moving beyond a B-level answer: you could google for "Noether's Theorem" and take a look at http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/noether.html to see how conservation laws follow from the symmetries of our universe. But that just moves the "Why?" question around - why do we live in a universe with these particular symmetries and not some others? Sooner or later it comes down to "because that's how it is")

Likes Theudius