Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy conservation in e-e+ annihilation

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to convince myself (mathematically) that energy is conserved at the vertex in [itex]e^-e^+[/itex] annihilation, while solving Exercise 3.5(b) of Halzen and Martin's book (page 83).

I am looking at the time dependent term in the scattering amplitude [itex]T_{fi}[/itex] alone, to recover the delta function term which asserts the energy conservation. I know that I can look at the process in forward time or backward time, with the roles of the e+ and e- reversed.

Suppose the energies of the incoming electron and positron are E and E' respectively, whereas the energy of the outgoing photon is [itex]\omega[/itex] ([itex]\hbar = 1[/itex]).

From what I understand, the transition amplitude is proportional to

[tex]\int dt\,(e^{-i(-E')t})^{*}e^{-i\omega t}e^{-iEt} = 2\pi\delta(E+E'+\omega)[/tex]

which gives the wrong answer of course, since the argument of the delta function should be [itex]E+E'-\omega[/itex].

I believe I am making a mistake in interpreting their "rule":

What does this mean? I'm a bit confused with the convention.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2
  4. Mar 15, 2010 #3

clem

Science Advisor

The signs in your exponents are wrong. It should be
    [tex]e^{i\omega}e^{-i (E+E')}[/tex], corresponding to E+E' in the initial state and omega in the final state.

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    Thanks clem. I was earlier thinking that the photon contribution will be through the potential term which is sandwiched between the final and initial states, which (I thought) referred to particles alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook