1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy Fluctuations in Canonical Ensemble

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In deriving <E2>-<E>2

starting from <E>=U=sum(Eiexp(-beta Ei))/sum(exp(-beta Ei). the taking derivative of U with respect to beta, the book always notes E (thus Volume) is held constant. what i am trying to do is taking the derivative of U with respect to beta or T (temp) and V (volume). but i get stuck

2. Relevant equations

<E>=U= sum(Ei*exp(-beta*Ei)/sum(exp(-beta*Ei)
    dU=dU/dT+dU/dV

3. The attempt at a solution

I applied the above equation dU to U as listed above. i performed the quotient and product rule obtaining terms partial derivative with respect to V and T. I tried to look for a way to combine terms and cancel terms. but I cannot. anyone help thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    Why are you taking the derivative of U with respect to V? It only asked you to take the derivative with respect to beta.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    in the notes in the book its hold Ei constant, i want to perform the derivative more generally allowing Ei to vary

5. Mar 31, 2010 #4
    But I am pretty sure, they take a partial derivative with respect to beta. So you don't worry about N or V.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook