Energy flux in sun gives rise to polarization of plasma in sun?

In summary: Google Scholar?In summary, the outward energy flux of high energy photons in the sun polarizes the plasma. This field gives rise to a magnetic field.
Spinnor
Gold Member
In the energy producing region of the sun there is a large radial flux of high energy photons. Does this outward flux polarize the plasma and give rise to a electric field in this inner region? What is an order of magnitude estimate of this field?

As the sun rotates this field gives rise to a magnetic field?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
In the energy producing region of the sun there is a large radial flux of high energy photons. Does this outward flux polarize the plasma and give rise to a electric field in this inner region? What is an order of magnitude estimate of this field?

As the sun rotates this field gives rise to a magnetic field?

In the Klein–Nishina formula, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein–Nishina_formula

the differential cross section for the scattering of photons from electrons goes as 1/(m_e)^2

If we substituted the mass of a proton the scattering is reduced by a factor of roughly 1/2000^2

Can we use this fact to show that the large radial energy flux in the sun will tend to polarize the plasma in the radiation zone of the sun?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I do know that for most of the life of a star it's thermonuclear fusion powering things.
My guess is that convection, conduction and radiation all carry energy ...here is a blurb from wikipedia to consider:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

The magnetic field of a star is generated within regions of the interior where convective circulation occurs. This movement of conductive plasma functions like a dynamo, generating magnetic fields that extend throughout the star. The strength of the magnetic field varies with the mass and composition of the star, and the amount of magnetic surface activity depends upon the star's rate of rotation. This surface activity produces starspots, which are regions of strong magnetic fields and lower than normal surface temperatures

(my boldface highlight)

There are other pieces in the main article that may be of interest to you. They lead me to question the accuracy your post but don't take this as authoratative...just a personal comment. They may lead you to other areas of inquiry.
good luck.

Somewhere I read, if my memory is correct, that if the sun had a small initial "seed" magnetic field that the dynamics of the sun would take care of turning that seed field into a larger dynamic magnetic field.

I thought I had a possible source for that seed field. I'm stumped how to even get some order of magnitude estimate using the fact(?) that the cross-section for photons to scatter off electrons is greater then the cross-section for photons to scatter off positive matter in the sun which should(?) give rise to polarization of charge and if the sun does not rotate as a whole movement relative to this polarized charge would give rise to a magnetic field?

We know the energy output of the sun and have estimates for the pressure, density, and temperature as functions of the distance from the center of the sun. How would you get an order of magnitude estimate for this supposed polarization.

My basic, and limited understanding of plasma physics was confirmed by the following Wikipedia quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)#Degree_of_ionization

For plasma to exist, ionization is necessary. The term "plasma density" by itself usually refers to the "electron density", that is, the number of free electrons per unit volume. The degree of ionization of a plasma is the proportion of atoms which have lost (or gained) electrons, and is controlled mostly by the temperature. Even a partially ionized gas in which as little as 1% of the particles are ionized can have the characteristics of a plasma (i.e. respond to magnetic fields and are highly electrically conductive).

So my instinct is confirmed that once heat rises to a certain level, be it by gravitational attractive energy or nuclear fusion or both, you could hardly stop ionization of hydrogen gas (and typically some helium) and the creation of a plasma even if you wanted to...maybe that's what you mean by a "seed" but my own take is that no seed is necessary...once a gas temperature rises to a high enough level, neutrinos, protons, electrons and everything imagniable begins to "boil" off and electromagnetic fields result. And with the typical rotation of a star, different portions of the plasma are likely accelerated relative to each other even more and stronger electromagnetic fields are inevitable...

I've never even seen any descriptive mathematics for plasma fields but maybe you can search ARXIV...

Last edited:

What is energy flux in the sun?

Energy flux in the sun refers to the amount of energy that is continuously radiated from the sun's surface into space. This energy is primarily in the form of electromagnetic radiation.

How does energy flux give rise to polarization of plasma in the sun?

The energy flux from the sun interacts with the charged particles in the sun's plasma, causing them to align their oscillations in a specific direction. This alignment results in the polarization of the plasma, which means that the oscillations of the particles are confined to a particular plane.

What is plasma in the sun?

Plasma in the sun is a state of matter in which atoms are stripped of their electrons due to the high temperatures and pressures found in the sun's core. This results in a highly ionized and electrically conductive gas.

Why is the polarization of plasma in the sun important?

The polarization of plasma in the sun provides valuable information about the structure and dynamics of the sun's magnetic field. This, in turn, helps us understand the processes that drive the sun's activity and how it impacts our planet.

How do scientists study energy flux and polarization of plasma in the sun?

Scientists use instruments such as spectropolarimeters, which measure the polarization of light from the sun. They also use computer simulations and models to better understand the underlying physical processes that govern energy flux and plasma polarization in the sun.