1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a magnet/iron system (eg. gauss rifle)

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to calculate the energy of a system of iron pieces and a magnet on an axis. The configuration can be thought to be like this: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2011/12/drawingskey1.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    dE = 1/2B^2/µdv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried very hard to find a source which explain the calculations of magnet+iron systems but I really couldn't find anything useful. I want to learn to calculate the change in potential energy between the two systems shown in the image above (and possibly more complicated configurations)
    I can imagine that the magnetic field wants to go through the iron, making the field stronger when iron is closer to the magnet but i can not even begin to calculate how much.
    This may or may not be a problem that can be solved by hand (I am posting this here because I thought this was a homework type question) Reasonable assumptions, and idealizations probably must be made. Shapes of the magnets and iron can be changed for easier calculations.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Calculating the potential energy of magnets and magnetic things is messy - you can do a finite element analysis, but this is nothing you want to do just for a toy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted