1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One of a He+ atom is in a pure state |1,0,0>. What is the energy of this state? Give a numerical answer in eV. Another of these is found to be in a mixed state: |si>=[1/(3^1/2)][2^1/2|2,1,0>+|2,1,-1>. Calculate the following expectation values at t=0; <E>,<Lz>,<Lx> HINT: start by writing Lx in terms of the raising and lowering operators, L+ and L-

2. Relevant equations
    ???

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I'm supposed to calculate the ground state? I'm not sure what formula to use.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    The He+ ion behaves like a hydrogen atom with double-charged nucleus (Z=2). Hence the corresponding expression for hydrogen energy levels can be used.

Relevant equations:

[tex]
    E_{|n,l,m>} = -\frac{m_e Z^2 e^4}{2\hbar^2} \frac{1}{n^2}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \hat{L}_\pm = \hat{L}_x \pm i\hat{L}_y
    [/tex]

4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    Ok, so I found the energy, <E>, and <Lz>, but how do I determine <Lx>? I tried writing it in terms of L+-, but I ended up just proving the equation true or having to deal with Ly. I need to know what Lx|n,l,m> is, but I can't figure it out!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook