Energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom

In summary, the He+ atom with one electron in the pure state |1,0,0> has an energy of -54.4 eV. Another He+ atom with one electron in the mixed state |si>=[1/(3^1/2)][2^1/2|2,1,0>+|2,1,-1> has an energy of -51.5 eV. At time t=0, the expectation values for energy, angular momentum in the z direction, and angular momentum in the x direction are <E> = -51.5 eV, <Lz> = 0, and <Lx> = 0.
samee

Homework Statement

One of a He+ atom is in a pure state |1,0,0>. What is the energy of this state? Give a numerical answer in eV. Another of these is found to be in a mixed state: |si>=[1/(3^1/2)][2^1/2|2,1,0>+|2,1,-1>. Calculate the following expectation values at t=0; <E>,<Lz>,<Lx> HINT: start by writing Lx in terms of the raising and lowering operators, L+ and L-

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm supposed to calculate the ground state? I'm not sure what formula to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The He+ ion behaves like a hydrogen atom with double-charged nucleus (Z=2). Hence the corresponding expression for hydrogen energy levels can be used.

Relevant equations:

[tex]
E_{|n,l,m>} = -\frac{m_e Z^2 e^4}{2\hbar^2} \frac{1}{n^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\hat{L}_\pm = \hat{L}_x \pm i\hat{L}_y
[/tex]

Ok, so I found the energy, <E>, and <Lz>, but how do I determine <Lx>? I tried writing it in terms of L+-, but I ended up just proving the equation true or having to deal with Ly. I need to know what Lx|n,l,m> is, but I can't figure it out!

Last edited:

1. What is the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom?

The energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom refers to the amount of energy that an electron has while in a specific energy level or orbital around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It is determined by the electron's distance from the nucleus and is quantized, meaning it can only have specific values.

2. How is the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom calculated?

The energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the electron, and the distance between the electron and nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom?

The energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom is significant because it determines the behavior and properties of the atom. It affects the atom's stability, reactivity, and the wavelengths of light that it can absorb and emit.

4. How does the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom change as the electron moves to a higher energy level?

As the electron moves to a higher energy level, its energy increases. This results in a more unstable atom and a larger distance between the electron and nucleus. The energy levels of a hydrogenic atom are also closer together as the energy increases, meaning the amount of energy needed to move to the next level increases as well.

5. Can the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom ever be negative?

No, the energy of a state of a hydrogenic atom can never be negative. This is because the energy levels of an atom are measured relative to the lowest energy level, which is considered to have an energy of 0. As the energy of a state increases, it becomes less negative until it reaches 0 at the ground state level.