Energy of a Wave & the Photoelectric Effect: Is My Statement Correct?

In summary, classical electrodynamics states that the energy of a wave is proportional to its intensity. However, this theory fails to explain the photoelectric effect observed by Hertz. While quantization of the electromagnetic field can explain the effect, it is not necessary as classical electromagnetic radiation can also cause the photoelectric effect. Intensity is defined as power per unit area and is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the electric field. The energy of the wave must exceed the work function of the material, typically achieved with ultraviolet wavelengths, for the photoelectric effect to occur.
Sandeep T S
In classical electrodynamics energy of a wave is proportional to its intensity , this theory fails when Hertz did experiment on photoelectric effect. Is my statement is correct? If not correct me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sandeep T S said:
In classical electrodynamics energy of a wave is proportional to its intensity

What do you mean by "intensity"? The correct mathematical statement is that the energy of a classical EM wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Sandeep T S said:
this theory fails when Hertz did experiment on photoelectric effect

What theory? Classical electrodynamics? Yes, the observed photoelectric effect cannot be explained by classical electrodynamics. However, that has nothing to do with the classical formula for the energy carried by an EM wave.

Sandeep T S said:
In classical electrodynamics energy of a wave is proportional to its intensity , this theory fails when Hertz did experiment on photoelectric effect. Is my statement is correct? If not correct me.

Quantization of the electromagnetic is consistent with the photoelectric effect, but it is not necessary to explain the photoelectric effect, i.e., the photoelectric effect can be explained by a classical electromagnetic radiation incident on a photomaterial. Of course, the photoelectric effect can be explained by quantized electromagnetic radiation incident on a photomaterial.

Both situations are treated quantitatively in the interesting book "Quantum Mechanics: Theory and Experiment" by Mark Beck.

Likes PeterDonis
George Jones said:
Quantization of the electromagnetic is consistent with the photoelectric effect, but it is not necessary to explain the photoelectric effect, .
But I thought Einstein proposed quantisatiion to explain the effect. Why does intense white light not create electron emission?

tech99 said:
But I thought Einstein proposed quantisatiion to explain the effect. Why does intense white light not create electron emission?

This is explained in the text that I referenced, which probably is unavailable to you. See also the video below (between times 27:30 and 30:23), by Alain Aspect, who, in my opinion, should be a Nobel Laureate.

Last edited:
Likes tech99 and stevendaryl
Sandeep T S said:

As George Jones already said, one may use a classical electromagnetic field in dealing with the photoelectric effect, and since the definition of intensity is independent of whether you treat the rest of the system as quantum or not, intensity is still proportional to the energy of an electromagnetic wave.

With that said, given the definition of intensity, I am fairly certain that even with a fully quantized electromagnetic field it would still be proportional to the (average/time averaged) energy of the field. But I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this point.

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "intensity"? The correct mathematical statement is that the energy of a classical EM wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude.

Intensity is the power per unit area. For an electromagnetic wave. It is also proportional to the square of the amplitude of the electric field.

George Jones said:
This is explained in the text that I referenced, which probably is unavailable to you. See also the video below (between times 27:30 and 30:23), by Alain Aspect, who, in my opinion, should be a Nobel Laureate.

Thank you very much for this fantastic lecture. Are we saying that the light source need not be quantised, but the wavelength must be ultra violet so that the wave energy exceeds the work function of the material?

1. What is the energy of a wave?

The energy of a wave is the amount of energy that is carried by the wave as it travels through a medium. It is directly related to the frequency and amplitude of the wave, with higher frequencies and amplitudes corresponding to higher energy waves.

2. How is the energy of a wave calculated?

The energy of a wave can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the wave. This formula is known as the Planck-Einstein relation and is used to calculate the energy of electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which a material, typically a metal, emits electrons when exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first observed and studied by Albert Einstein and is a crucial concept in understanding the relationship between light and matter.

4. How does the energy of a wave relate to the photoelectric effect?

The energy of a wave is directly related to the photoelectric effect. In order for the photoelectric effect to occur, the light must have a minimum frequency, known as the threshold frequency. This frequency is directly related to the energy of the wave, with higher energy waves being able to cause the photoelectric effect.

5. Is it correct to say that increasing the amplitude of a wave will increase its energy?

Yes, it is correct to say that increasing the amplitude of a wave will increase its energy. This is because the amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy, with higher amplitudes corresponding to higher energy waves. However, it is important to note that changing the amplitude alone will not change the frequency of the wave, which also affects its energy.