Photoelectric effect: Saturation voltage

In summary, the saturation current is reached when the intensity of light is fixed and all emitted electrons are collected at the anode. However, the voltage remains constant due to the maximum energy of the released electrons being determined by the wavelength of the photons. The electrons are then able to return to the cathode via the voltage source. The saturation voltage refers to the maximum voltage that can be reached by the emitted electrons.
mgcgian
TL;DR Summary
Idk, what level, but this is A-levels, so AP physics?
Hi, I just got two inquiries:

My understanding is that the saturation current is reached when the intensity of light is fixed, when the potential difference is at its positive maximum magnitude. Subsequently, whatever kinetic energy store of any photoelectrons, however deep within the metal's surface, will be collected at the anode. Hence, a saturation point is reached, as the rate of emission is now at a constant rate, and now being collected at anode.

What I don't understand is: when a constant current reached, in my textbook, it states that "all the photoelectrons are collected". But, clearly from the graph, if they were to be all collected, wouldn't the voltage decrease.

But in all graphs, they asymptote to a specific value, depending on the intensity of light, showing that not all the photoelectrons are collected.

This leads onto my second, the circuit is complete when photoelectric emission occurs and the electrons are "collected",

so what happens to the electrons, do they flow around the circuit? Do they go to to the anode then go back to the photocathode. The journey of the electron is not really specified.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your title "saturation voltage" suggests a maximum voltage. The wavelength of the photons decides the energy and therefore the maximum voltage of a released electron, since the energy of a photon is proportional to frequency.
Energy in eV = 1239.84 / λ nm = voltage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect#Theoretical_explanation

Saturation current is determined by the intensity of the light, i.e the number of photons that can cause emission of an electron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo...imental_observation_of_photoelectric_emission

The electrons emitted by the cathode will be collected by an external anode, then will return to the cathode via the voltage source used to set the anode voltage more positive than the photoemissive cathode.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mgcgian, vanhees71 and berkeman
mgcgian said:
TL;DR Summary: Idk, what level, but this is A-levels, so AP physics?

But, clearly from the graph, if they were to be all collected, wouldn't the voltage decrease.
I'd look at it as a fully charged capacitor - voltage is constant and no current in.

Likes mgcgian
sophiecentaur said:
I'd look at it as a fully charged capacitor - voltage is constant and no current in.
Thanks for the analogy,

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Your title "saturation voltage" suggests a maximum voltage. The wavelength of the photons decides the energy and therefore the maximum voltage of a released electron, since the energy of a photon is proportional to frequency.
Energy in eV = 1239.84 / λ nm = voltage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect#Theoretical_explanation

Saturation current is determined by the intensity of the light, i.e the number of photons that can cause emission of an electron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo...imental_observation_of_photoelectric_emission

The electrons emitted by the cathode will be collected by an external anode, then will return to the cathode via the voltage source used to set the anode voltage more positive than the photoemissive cathode.
Thank you for the explanation

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This effect was first discovered by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

When light of a certain frequency, known as the threshold frequency, is shone on a metal surface, it causes the electrons in the material to gain enough energy to escape from the surface. This results in a flow of electrons, known as a photocurrent, which can be measured.

3. What is saturation voltage in the photoelectric effect?

Saturation voltage is the maximum voltage that can be applied to the material in the photoelectric effect without causing an increase in the photocurrent. This voltage is dependent on the intensity and frequency of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material.

4. How is saturation voltage related to the intensity of light?

The saturation voltage is directly proportional to the intensity of light. This means that as the intensity of light increases, the saturation voltage also increases. This relationship can be explained by the fact that a higher intensity of light results in a greater number of photons hitting the material, which in turn causes more electrons to be emitted.

5. How is saturation voltage affected by the frequency of light?

The saturation voltage is inversely proportional to the frequency of light. This means that as the frequency of light increases, the saturation voltage decreases. This can be explained by the fact that higher frequency light carries more energy per photon, allowing electrons to escape from the material at lower voltages.