Energy of conservation question

In summary, a package with mass m slides down a 3.7 m high frictionless chute and collides with a package of mass 2m at the bottom. If they stick together, their common speed after the collision is 4.4 m/s. If the collision is elastic, the package with mass m will rebound to a height of 0.33 m. The initial speed used in the calculations was incorrect, as the chute is 3.7 m high, not 3 m.
physics120

Homework Statement

A package of mass m is released from rest at a warehouse loading dock and slides down a h = 3.7 m high frictionless chute to a waiting truck. Unfortunately, the truck driver went on a break without having removed the previous package, of mass 2m, from the bottom of the chute.

(a) Suppose the packages stick together. What is their common speed after the collision?

(b) Suppose the collision between the packages is elastic. To what height does the package of mass m rebound?

Homework Equations

energy of conservation eqn

The Attempt at a Solution

the velocity acquired that mass m when it reaches the bottom of the path
v = √2gh
h = height of fall

So I got v= 7.668 m/s (I went sqrt(2*9.8*3) )

the kinetic energy of the mass by the time it collides with the big mass 2m will be
E = mv^2 / 2
after collsion the kientic energy of the combined mass will be equal to the initil kinetic energy of the mass m

( m +2m) * v'^2 / 2 = mv^2 / 2

v ' = is the final velocity of the combined mass .

So I got v= 4.4 m/s

Does that look right?

b) velocity of the mass m after collision
v' = (m2 - m1) v / (m1+m2)
v = √gh
m2 = 2m
m1 = m
v = √gh .
the height reached by teh mass after collsion
h = v'^2 / g

ARE THE STEPS TAKEN IN QUESTION B CORRECT? or should it be like this:

where vf= final velocity of package with mass m right after collision
vi= the velocity from part a (7.668 m/s)

vf= ((m1 - m2)*vi) / (m1 + m2)

= ((m - 2m)*vi) / (m + 2m)

= (-m*vi)/ (3m)

= -vi/3

= -7.668/3 = -2.556 m/s

So for mass m:

where Kf= final kinetic energy
Ki= initial kin energy
Ugf= final gravitational potential energy
Ugi = initial grav. pot. energy
yf = final height
vi = initial velocity (THIS time I used the 2.556 m/s I just found not 7.668 m/s)

Kf + Ugf = Ki + Ugi

Kf and Ugi = 0 so,

solving for yf I get:

yf = vi^2 / 2g

= ((-2.556)^2) / (2*9.8)

= 0.33 m

IS THIS RIGHT? OR ARE NEITHER CORRECT?

need some quick help :/

thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial speed is wrong, because the height is 3.7, not 3 as you used.
Secondly, Kinetic energy isn't conserved in an inelastic collision (where they stick together).

But momentum is conserved. So

V = mv/3m = 1/3*v

For part b, you have an elastic collision, and here kinetic energy is conserved.

2 equations (momentum and kinetic energy) and 2 unknowns the 2 final velocities ... solve.

In part A your method is correct, however you used the wrong value of height to calculate v.

I am not following part B. Are you using conservation of momentum to set up an equation? Also I do not see the 2m mass's after-collision velocity anywhere.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy applies to everyday life in various ways, such as the energy used to power our homes and transportation, and the energy within our bodies that allows us to perform daily tasks.

3. What are some examples of energy conservation?

Some examples of energy conservation include turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and carpooling or using public transportation.

4. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation helps reduce the amount of energy we consume, which in turn reduces the amount of natural resources we use and the emissions produced from energy production. This helps to preserve the environment and combat climate change.

5. How can we promote energy conservation?

We can promote energy conservation by educating ourselves and others about energy-saving practices, using renewable energy sources, and supporting policies and initiatives that promote energy efficiency and conservation.