Why do I keep getting friction coefficient as a negative?

Iamconfused123
Homework Statement
A truck of a mass 5000kg is moving at 10m/s and we turn the engine off, the car stops after 5 seconds, what is the coefficient of friction?
Relevant Equations
mi - a friction coefficient
F=ma, Ffr=mi*m*g
I mean, I know why I am getting that result(because acceleration is negative), and I know that is wrong butI don't understand how do I get the correct answer...

m=5000kg
Vi=10m/s -> initial velocity
Vf=0 -> final velocity
t=5s

mi=?I first calculated acceleration(Vf=Vi+at -> a=-10/5= -2m/s^2. And then Ffr=mi*m*g and since Ftr=ma then ma=mi*m*g -> mi=a/g=-2/10=-0.2

Can someone please help me with this. I've tried similar problem, just with distance crossed but no time given, and got negative coefficient again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your misrake is assuming that the frictional force acts in the direction of motion. It does not. It acts opposite to the direction of motion.

Likes Iamconfused123
The force of friction is the only force acting on the truck hence it is the net force. If the acceleration is negative the net force must be negative.

Likes Iamconfused123
Iamconfused123 said:
Well, yes, but, am I allowed to just add - myself in front of mi(fric. coeff) in formula Ffr=mi*m*g? Because that is not the original formula, would that affect the result if I had to do multiple steps or if I had 2 eq with two unknowns?
Yes you are allowed. The formula gives you the magnitude of the force of friction. You must put the minus sign in front of the magnitude to make a vector pointing in the same direction as the acceleration. If you don't, you will be violating Newton's second law.

Likes Iamconfused123
Thanks, I deleted that comment. Thought that was stupid. But it just a bit odd for me to just add - myself.
I don't think I ever did that before in any math or physics problem.

Iamconfused123 said:
I mean I know I am allowed to do that, but what if I was for example writing some type of code, where I'd have to go and manually add/replace all -es or +es? That would be very stupid job to do
"Allow" is a weak word. You are required to do that because, as I already mentioned, you will be violating Newton's second law if you don't match the direction of the net force and the direction of the acceleration.

If you make no mistakes, you will not have to replace anything whether you solve a physics problem or write code.

Likes Iamconfused123
kuruman said:
"Allow" is a weak word. You are required to do that because, as I already mentioned, you will be violating Newton's second law if you don't match the direction of the net force and the direction of the acceleration.

If you make no mistakes, you will not have to replace anything whether you solve a physics problem or write code.
Thank you for helping me.

Likes kuruman
Iamconfused123 said:
Homework Statement: A truck of a mass 5000kg is moving at 10m/s and we turn the engine off, the car stops after 5 seconds, what is the coefficient of friction?
Is this question valid? Turning the engine off is not the same as hitting the brakes. The vehicle's momentum can keep the engine turning over for a while.
The coefficient of friction between road and tyres could be much higher than computed from this info.

Likes Iamconfused123 and PeroK
haruspex said:
Is this question valid? Turning the engine off is not the same as hitting the brakes. The vehicle's momentum can keep the engine turning over for a while.
The coefficient of friction between road and tyres could be much higher than computed from this info.
I wouldn't turn off the engine of a 5-ton truck expecting it to stop in 5 s even when it's moving at 36 km/h. With the engine off, there will be at least partial loss of steering and braking ability. In any case, this question obliges one to assume that turning off the engine locks the wheels which is certainly not what happens.

Likes Iamconfused123
Iamconfused123 said:
Homework Statement: A truck of a mass 5000kg is moving at 10m/s and we turn the engine off, the car stops after 5 seconds, what is the coefficient of friction?
This question is nonsense and must have been written by someone who a) has never driven a car or truck; and, b) has never studied physics. I wonder if it was AI generated?

The first problem is that, AFAIK, to stop a truck you apply the brakes, rather than switch off the engine.

If you do not apply the brakes, the truck would eventually come to a stop due to a combination air resistance and rolling resistance.

If you apply the brakes normally, the truck would stop quickly due to static friction between the tires and the road. But, unless you are braking at maximum capability, you would not be using the full coefficient of static friction.

If you lock the wheels by braking too hard, and the truck has no anti-locking braking system, then the truck will slide to rest using the full coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road.

Likes Iamconfused123
PeroK said:
If you do not apply the brakes, the truck would eventually come to a stop due to a combination air resistance and rolling resistance.
In neutral, yes, but if the engine is still engaged then you have the wheels cranking the engine. That will be less resistance than brakes can supply, but rather more than rolling resistance.

haruspex said:
In neutral, yes, but if the engine is still engaged then you have the wheels cranking the engine. That will be less resistance than brakes can supply, but rather more than rolling resistance.
Okay, so there are internal factors. But, it's still quite fantastic to think that you stop a truck by switching off the engine.

PeroK said:
Okay, so there are internal factors. But, it's still quite fantastic to think that you stop a truck by switching off the engine.
It is important what happens in that event. Maybe the ignition failed or you ran out of fuel.

haruspex said:
It is important what happens in that event. Maybe the ignition failed or you ran out of fuel.
Or perhaps the truck was going uphill. That would explain the stopping in only 5 seconds.

PeroK said:
Or perhaps the truck was going uphill. That would explain the stopping in only 5 seconds.
I’d say around 9 seconds 😉

(Although that one is probably going faster than 10 m/s …)

Likes berkeman and PeroK
As long as we are this far into the weeds... I had a summer job where we sometimes got to drive a small (5 yard) dumptruck around the construction site. One of the more seasoned guys showed me how to turn off the engine on a downhill stretch, count to three, then switch the ignition back on. Boom!! Endless laughs. Just don't do it when El Jefe is nearby.

gmax137 said:
One of the more seasoned guys showed me how to turn off the engine on a downhill stretch, count to three, then switch the ignition back on. Boom!!
Was the loss of power steering and power brakes any problem?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Was the loss of power steering and power brakes any problem?
No, we were going only 20 or 25 mph, in a straight line. It is hard on the exhaust pipe tho.

1. Why is my friction coefficient negative?

The friction coefficient is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It can be negative if the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the applied force. This can happen if the surfaces are moving in opposite directions or if there is a lubricant present that reduces the friction.

2. Can a friction coefficient be negative?

Yes, a friction coefficient can be negative. It is a mathematical representation of the direction of the force of friction and can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the forces acting on the surfaces.

3. What does a negative friction coefficient mean?

A negative friction coefficient means that the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force. This can be caused by various factors such as the direction of motion or the presence of a lubricant.

4. How can I fix a negative friction coefficient?

The best way to fix a negative friction coefficient is to identify the cause of the negative value. Check the direction of motion and the presence of any lubricants that may be reducing the friction. Adjusting these factors can help to correct the negative value.

5. Is a negative friction coefficient bad?

No, a negative friction coefficient is not necessarily bad. It simply indicates that the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction of the applied force. In some cases, this can be beneficial, such as in the case of lubricated surfaces where the negative value indicates a reduction in friction.