Energy Problem-what did I do wrong?

• Thread starter quickclick330
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the fusion reaction between a proton and deuteron results in the formation of a helium-3 nucleus and a gamma ray, with the rest masses of the particles being 1.0073 u, 2.0136 u, and 3.0155 u respectively. To find the kinetic energy of the helium nucleus and energy of the photon, the equation mprotonc^2 + mdeuteronc^2 + Ui = mheliumc^2 + Khelium + Egamma is used, with the rest mass of the proton being 1.0073 u, not 1.0073 kg. Once this correction is made, the solution is correct.
quickclick330
Energy Problem--what did I do wrong?

Fusion (or "thermonuclear") reactions take place inside a star such as our Sun. One fusion reaction results from a collision between a proton (1H) and a deuteron (2H, the nucleus of "heavy" hydrogen, consisting of a proton and a neutron). When these two nuclei touch, they undergo a nuclear reaction, forming a helium-3 (3He) nucleus (containing two protons and one neutron) and a high energy photon, called a gamma ray.

1H + 2H 3He +

One "unified atomic mass unit", denoted by the symbol "u", is equal to 1.66 10-27 kg. The rest mass of the proton is 1.0073 u, the rest mass of the deuteron is 2.0136 u, the rest mass of the helium-3 nucleus is 3.0155 u, and the gamma ray is massless.

so...

rest masses
proton = 1.0073 u
deuteron = 2.0136 u
helium-3 nucleus = 3.0155 u

What is the kinetic energy of the helium nucleus plus the energy of the photon in the final state? Because you will be calculating a small difference of large quantities, you will need to use 5 or more significant figures in this calculation.
KHe + E = joules

*I've aready found out that the equation is:

mprotonc^2 + mdeuteronc^2 +Ui = mheliumc^2 +Khelium + Egamma

*Eand earlier in the problem I got that the Ui between the proton and the deuteron is 1.152e-13 J

so to find out mc^2 for the proton, deuteron, and helium,

(for the proton)

= (1.0073u) *(1.66e-27 kg) *(3e8)^2 = 1.5049062 J

(for deteron)
= 3.0083184 J

(for helium)

= 4.505158 J

so you would sove for Khelium + Egamma and get

Khelium + Egamma = mprotonC^2 +mdeutronC^2 +Ui - mheliumc^2

and i get 9.5876e-13...which is wrong?

Where have I gone wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have incorrectly calculated the value of mprotonc^2. The rest mass of the proton is 1.0073 u, not 1.0073 kg. This means your calculation should be (1.0073u) *(1.66e-27 kg) *(3e8)^2 = 2.42620e-13 J, instead of 1.5049062 J. Once you make this correction, your answer should be correct.

Hello, it seems like you have made a few errors in your calculations. First, when finding the rest mass of the proton, you used 1.0073u instead of 1.007276u. This small difference can lead to a significant error in your final result. Additionally, when finding the rest mass of the deuteron, you used 3.0083184 J instead of 3.0083884 J. This also contributes to the error in your final result.

Furthermore, when finding the kinetic energy of the helium nucleus, you should use the mass difference between the initial and final state, not the rest mass of the helium nucleus. This means that the equation should be:

Khelium + Egamma = mprotonc^2 + mdeutronc^2 + Ui - (mprotonc^2 + mdeutronc^2 + mheliumc^2)

= Ui - mheliumc^2

= 1.152e-13 J - (3.0155u * 1.66e-27 kg * (3e8)^2) = -5.099e-14 J

This result is negative because the energy is released in the form of a gamma ray, which has a negative energy value. Therefore, the total energy in the final state is:

Khelium + Egamma = -5.099e-14 J + (-1.152e-13 J) = -1.662e-13 J

I hope this helps you identify where you went wrong in your calculations. Remember to always double check your numbers and units to avoid errors. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

What caused the energy problem?

The energy problem is a complex issue that is caused by a combination of factors, including increasing demand for energy, limited resources, and inefficient use of energy.

What role do humans play in the energy problem?

Humans play a significant role in the energy problem by consuming large amounts of energy and contributing to the depletion of natural resources. Additionally, our choices and behaviors can impact the efficiency and sustainability of energy use.

What solutions are being proposed to address the energy problem?

There are a variety of proposed solutions to address the energy problem, including increasing the use of renewable energy sources, implementing energy efficiency measures, and promoting sustainable behaviors and lifestyles.

What can I do to help solve the energy problem?

As an individual, there are several actions you can take to help solve the energy problem. These include reducing your energy consumption, supporting renewable energy initiatives, and advocating for sustainable energy policies.

How can I prevent making the same mistakes in the future?

To prevent making the same mistakes in the future, it is important to educate yourself on energy issues and stay informed about advancements in energy technology and policies. Additionally, making conscious choices to reduce your own energy use can make a significant impact.