Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Energy Problem-what did I do wrong?

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    Energy Problem--what did I do wrong???

Fusion (or "thermonuclear") reactions take place inside a star such as our Sun. One fusion reaction results from a collision between a proton (1H) and a deuteron (2H, the nucleus of "heavy" hydrogen, consisting of a proton and a neutron). When these two nuclei touch, they undergo a nuclear reaction, forming a helium-3 (3He) nucleus (containing two protons and one neutron) and a high energy photon, called a gamma ray.

1H + 2H 3He +

One "unified atomic mass unit", denoted by the symbol "u", is equal to 1.66 10-27 kg. The rest mass of the proton is 1.0073 u, the rest mass of the deuteron is 2.0136 u, the rest mass of the helium-3 nucleus is 3.0155 u, and the gamma ray is massless.

so....

rest masses
    proton = 1.0073 u
    deuteron = 2.0136 u
    helium-3 nucleus = 3.0155 u

What is the kinetic energy of the helium nucleus plus the energy of the photon in the final state? Because you will be calculating a small difference of large quantities, you will need to use 5 or more significant figures in this calculation.
    KHe + E = joules

*I've aready found out that the equation is:

mprotonc^2 + mdeuteronc^2 +Ui = mheliumc^2 +Khelium + Egamma

*Eand earlier in the problem I got that the Ui between the proton and the deuteron is 1.152e-13 J

so to find out mc^2 for the proton, deuteron, and helium,

(for the proton)

= (1.0073u) *(1.66e-27 kg) *(3e8)^2 = 1.5049062 J

(for deteron)
    = 3.0083184 J

(for helium)

= 4.505158 J

so you would sove for Khelium + Egamma and get

Khelium + Egamma = mprotonC^2 +mdeutronC^2 +Ui - mheliumc^2

and i get 9.5876e-13....which is wrong?

Where have I gone wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!!! thanks!

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted