1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy required to remove point charges

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four charges are placed at the corners of a square of side length a, as follows : -Q on the top left corner, +Q on the top right corner, -Q on the bottom left corner and +Q on the bottom right corner. Determine the electric field at the centre of the square and determine the energy required to remove one of the negative charges from this configuration for Q=10 uC and a=1 m.

2. Relevant equations

E=(k|q|)/r^2
    V=kq/r
    W=qV

3. The attempt at a solution

First, for the electric field, I worked out r at the center of the square using Pythagoras' theorem and found r to be (a/sqrt(2)). I then substituted that into the equation for Electric field and got (2kq/(a^2)). This is for one charge only. (I took the top left). From this configuration, I thought that the y components of the electric field would cancel due to the four charges leaving me with only the x components to deal with. The x components of the field for this particular charge is -(2kq/(a^2))cos 45 which gives -sqrt(2)kq/(a^2). So, the net electric field due to the four charges would be 4 times this. Could you please check this?

For the second part of the question, I decided to work out the potential at the negative charge location (bottom left) due to the other charges using V=kq/r. I got the three potentials as being -89 880 V, 89 880 V and 63554.76V (?). I then added the three potentials together to get 63554.76 V and so the energy required to remove one of the negative charges (bottom left in my case) equals qV. And so, I got the final answer as being -6.355x10^-11 which seems like a strange answer. I would need some help, please

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Looks good.
    It is a strange answer as it does not have units. And I don't see how you get this numerical value and its sign.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I forgot to put the unit. it is the Joule (J) and I got the numerical value by using Q=10 uC and V=V1 +V2 +V3 (the three potentials added together). So, the net potential is 63554.76 V and so qV= -10*10^-6*63554.76 which gives this answer. The sign is negative because q is negative. Is this wrong?

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You really want qΔV. What is the change in potential for the charge moved to infinity?

6. Aug 7, 2013 #5
    The potential at infinity is defined to be 0, right? And the potential at the current location is 63554.76 V is it not? So, is the change in potential -63554.76 V??

7. Aug 7, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

8. Aug 8, 2013 #7
    I think I am almost there. The final answer is q*delta V. So, it is -10*10^-6*-63554.76. So, this equals 6.355*10^-11 J. Is this correct?

9. Aug 8, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That value is wrong. How did you calculate it?
    Please use brackets:
    -10*10^(-6)*(-63554.76)

10. Aug 8, 2013 #9
    Ok, The answer should be 0.64 J. I got the brackets wrong. Is this correct now?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted