1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy to move mass (potential energy)

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much energy is required to move a 900 kg mass from the Earth's surface to an altitude 3 times the Earth's radius?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \Delta U = GMm[\frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{R_2}][/tex]
    [tex] G = 6.67 x 10^{-11} Nm^2/kg^2[/tex]
    [tex]R_1 = R_E = 6.37 x 10^6 m[/tex]
    [tex]M = 5.98 x 10^{24} kg [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in everything with [tex] R_1[/tex] = radius of earth
    and [tex] R_2 [/tex] = 3(radius of earth) + 1 radius of earth = 4 radius of earth...and got [tex] \Delta U = 4.23 x 10^{10}[/tex].

The answer is [tex] 3.76 x 10^{10}[/tex], where [tex] R_2[/tex] = 3(radius of earth).

Why don't you use the radius of the earth plus the altitude (i.e. 4x radius of earth)? For the first potential energy, I use the radius as the radius of the earth, so I don't see why you use only the altitude for the second potential energy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your reasoning is entirely correct, [itex] r_f [/itex] {\em should} be [itex] 4 R_E [/itex]. If they used three times the radius of the Earth, they made a mistake, since "altitude" is defined to be measured above ground.

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    Ok, If I only can tell my professor before the next test!

Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?