Energy uncertainty of an atom in an excited state

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Ezequiel
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A Na atom is in an excited state for a mean time of [itex]1.6 \times 10^{-8}s[/itex]. Then it jumps to the ground state emitting a photon with 2.105 eV of energy. Find the energy uncertainty of that excited state.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I just don't know how to use that to solve the problem. Could you be more specific?
 
Could it be [itex]\Delta E > \frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{1}{\Delta t} = 32.96 \times 10^{-28}J[/itex]?
 
Ezequiel said:
Could it be [itex]\Delta E > \frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{1}{\Delta t} = 32.96 \times 10^{-28}J[/itex]?

Doesn't seem to be correct. What you did basically? And the question mentions Na atom , so we cannot use bohr equations. Also I don't know why they gave you energy of de-excitation. There is no use of it , I guess... I think you used the correct equation but did not solve it correctly.
 
Last edited: