Energy of Li2+ atom according to Bohr's model

  • Thread starter Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atom Energy Model
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Messages
697
Reaction score
73

Homework Statement


If n=1 is taken to be the reference of the potential energy, what will be the kinetic and potential energy in second excited state of Li2+?

Homework Equations


E=-13.6z^2/n^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I know KE is independent of reference point, so from the formula above, KE=13.6 as KE=(-)E for a hydrogen like atom. Now, PE for n=1 is -27.2 eV but we consider it zero here, since it is a mcq question and only one option is positive I know the correct answer is 217.6 eV. This should be calculated by first calculating PE of n=3 with 0 at infinity and then noting the difference but I don't know the expression for PE in terms of Z, I'd appreciate some help-thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I just obtained one using kq1q2/r then replacing the values, I'll test whether that gives a correct value or not and return