Energy use, conductive-convective layers and air films

In summary, the door of a refrigerator has dimensions of 1.5 m in height, 0.80 m in width, and 6.0 cm in thickness, with a thermal conductivity of 0.21Wm-1 degrees Celsius-1. The heat loss per hour through the door is calculated using the equation Q=kA(ΔT/Δx)t, where A is the surface area, k is the thermal conductivity, ΔT is the temperature difference, Δx is the thickness, and t is time. In a busy kitchen, the heat loss per hour is affected by the conduction-convection parameter "h" and the temperature difference between the air inside the fridge and the outer surface of the
kokodile

Homework Statement

The door of a refrigerator is 1.5 m high, 0.80 m wide and 6.0 cm thick. Its thermal conductivity is 0.21Wm-1 degrees Celsius-1.
a) what is the heat loss per hour through the door neglecting convection effects?
b) Air is usually still inside the refrigerator so there will be a conductive convective layer on the inside but in a busy kitchen such a layer will be absent on the outside. What is the heat loss per hour in this case and what is the temperature of the inside surface of the door?
C) at night the kitchen is also still; what is the heat loss per hour now, and what are the temperatures of the inside and outside surfaces?

A=1.2 m^2
Δx=.06 m
k=.21Wm-1°C-1
ΔT=27°C
t=3600 seconds

Homework Equations

For a) Q=kA(ΔT/Δx)t
For b) part one, Q=(Tf-Ta)xhxAxt, where Tf is Temp in fridge and Ta is temp of air outside fridge.
For b) part two, I have no idea.
For c) I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve a) through the equation above. I know that k=.21Wm-1°C-1, A=1.2m^2, ΔT=27, Δx=.06, and t=3600 seconds.

For b) part one, I used the equation above to solve for the first part. I'm not even sure if I did it right because the book rounds the answer up kind of by a lot. Using that equation, I got 1.7 * 10^5 Joules. The book says 2.0*10^5 Joules. I realized though that for this part, I thought "h" meant height, but it's actually the conduction-convection parameter which is 1.8(ΔT)^1/4. In this case, ΔT is 27°C, but the equation already incorporates ΔT into the equation so I don't understand why we use ΔT twice in this equation. If I solve for "h" using 27°C, I get h=4.1 and plugging that back into the equation, I get 4.8*10^5 Joules which is definitely wrong.

For b) part two, is it right to assume that the temperature at the surface inside the door is right between the temperature in the fridge and outside of the fridge? Which means it would be 13.5°C. Or is there a way to actually solve for this? The book says it's 13.5°C so it seems like we just assume it's in the middle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In part b, the ##\Delta T## refers to the temperature difference between the air inside the refrigerator and the inner surface of the door.
In part c, the ##\Delta T## refers separately to the temperature difference between the outer surface of the door and the room temperature.

And, yes, there is a way of solving all this.

1. What is energy use?

Energy use refers to the consumption of energy, such as electricity or fuel, to power various activities and processes. This can include everything from powering homes and businesses to manufacturing and transportation.

2. What are conductive-convective layers?

Conductive-convective layers are layers of material, such as soil or rock, that have the ability to transfer heat through conduction (direct contact) and convection (movement of fluids or gases). These layers play a crucial role in the movement and distribution of heat in the Earth's crust and atmosphere.

3. How do air films affect energy use?

Air films, also known as boundary layers, can impact energy use by creating a layer of insulation between two surfaces. This can reduce heat transfer and improve energy efficiency. Air films can also play a role in convection, helping to distribute heat and regulate temperature.

4. What is the relationship between energy use and climate change?

Energy use is closely linked to climate change as the burning of fossil fuels for energy releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, contributing to the Earth's warming. Reducing energy use and transitioning to renewable energy sources is crucial in mitigating the impacts of climate change.

5. How can we reduce energy use in our daily lives?

There are many ways to reduce energy use in our daily lives, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and opting for sustainable modes of transportation. Conserving energy not only helps the environment but can also save money on energy bills.