Engine with 432,000 miles is in surprisingly good condition

In summary, regular maintenance and oil changes, proper driving habits, high-quality engine parts, and engine design and materials can contribute to the good condition of an engine with high mileage. The lifespan of an engine can vary, but a well-maintained engine can last up to 200,000 miles or more. Signs of a well-maintained engine include smooth operation, consistent oil levels, and no unusual smells or smoke. An engine with high mileage can still perform well with proper maintenance, but may not perform as well as a newer engine. To prolong the life of an engine, it is important to follow recommended maintenance schedules, avoid harsh driving, and regularly check and replace worn parts.
ElliotSmith
A 4-cyilinder engine with a staggering 432,000 miles on it is actually in surprising good condition.

Likes jedishrfu, Drakkith and Asymptotic
Physics news on Phys.org
My 2007 BMW 118D has 250,000 miles on the clock and is still going strongly. It's had the ancillary parts replaced like the turbo / flywheel but nothing inside the block itself. I also was shiocked how good condition it was in when we tool the head off about 50,000 miles ago but I am not convinced it will reach the same milestone as the car in the video.

1. What factors contribute to the good condition of an engine with 432,000 miles?

There are several factors that could contribute to the good condition of an engine with high mileage. Regular maintenance and oil changes, proper driving habits, and high-quality engine parts are all important factors. Additionally, the design and materials used in the engine could also play a role in its durability.

2. How long can an engine typically last before needing major repairs?

The lifespan of an engine can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the make and model of the vehicle, driving habits, and maintenance. Generally, a well-maintained engine can last up to 200,000 miles or more. However, some engines have been known to last well over 300,000 miles with proper care and maintenance.

3. What signs should I look for to determine if an engine is in good condition?

Some signs of a well-maintained engine include smooth and quiet operation, consistent oil levels, and no unusual smells or smoke coming from the engine. It is also important to check for any leaks or strange noises while driving. A trusted mechanic can also perform a thorough inspection to determine the condition of an engine.

4. Can an engine with high mileage still perform well?

Yes, an engine with high mileage can still perform well if it has been properly maintained. Regular oil changes, tune-ups, and replacing worn parts can help keep an engine running smoothly even with high mileage. However, it is important to note that as an engine ages, it may not perform as well as a newer engine.

5. What steps can I take to prolong the life of my engine?

To prolong the life of your engine, it is important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule, including regular oil changes and tune-ups. Avoiding excessive idling, hard acceleration, and harsh driving can also help extend the life of your engine. Regularly checking and replacing worn parts, such as belts and filters, can also help keep your engine in good condition.