1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineer who wants to do Mathematical Modelling.

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I am on my last year of study for my bachelor degree in Mechatronics. Looking back at my courses I can say that what I want to do with my life is mathematical modelling of systems (Be they technical, financial, whatever).

My favorite courses so far were the mathematical ones and the control engineering related ones. I really liked control theory! But my issue is that the mathematical background of my program is not the strongest and even though I have taken steps to address this through self-study, there is a good chance I won't be admitted on a master degree for mathematical modelling.

I have found alternative programs in engineering, mostly control and automation related that deal with mathematical modelling however. However I am concerned about whether those emphasize modelling specific technical systems which are mostly linear and that I will continue to lack the skillset to compete with someone who comes from a more traditional mathematical route.

So I am writing to ask for your advice and opinions/ideas. Do you believe that continuing my education in engineering and trying to squeeze in whatever modelling courses I can get to be sufficient? Should I start over with a degree in Mathematics? Or something else entirely? Please help me out ^^.

Thank you in advance for your response(s)!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

PBD

I'm in a similar situation- although I do really like my field of engineering (nuclear) I want to do modeling & high performance computing. I'm looking for programs that have that as a formal option, or at least an area of research, so it's not really squeezing it in but more of a recognized area of interest. If you look through the grad programs in your field you might find them as well. Look in the bigger departments, I bet you'll find it.

My thinking is that it's probably good to be diversified, have a solid base in one field and an interest in another, complementary one. I sure wouldn't start over if I could help it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook