Engineering guidance (rethinking concentration)

In summary, a junior in the Mechanical Engineering program is seeking advice on whether mechanics of materials is the most important aspect of ME or if they can focus on thermo and energy in their future job. They are considering switching concentrations or specializing in grad school and are also curious about the differences between thermo in ME and Chemical Engineering.
crr14
Hey guys, looking for some advice from some more experienced engineers and students.

I'm currently a junior in the Mechanical Engineering program at my university, but I've recently begun to think that this may have been the wrong choice.

I don't know if this is how it is in other programs, but I was required to take the introductory classes for all the main concentrations (statics, dynamics, circuits , mass balances and energy balances, etc). With the exception of statics I thought they were all pretty interesting, so I ended up choosing mechanical because it seemed like the most versatile, and ultimately I want to work with renewable/alternative energy (which I've heard is largely ME).

Now that I'm taking the upper level classes, I've found that I love the thermo and fluids classes I'm taking...but I hate my mechanics of materials class. I'm afraid that getting a job doing that type of work would be more typical of a mechanical engineer, and I don't want to end up hating the rest of my solids courses if I stick with it. So basically, I'm just looking for any advice as to whether the subject matter of mechanics of materials is the most important thing in ME or if I can get a job that focuses mostly on the thermo side of things?

My other alternative is to switch concentrations as it would only add another semester or maybe year at this point. I know that the ChemE's at my school take a lot of thermo and heat transfer type classes as well, is it approached in the same way as in ME? That's the other concentration I'm looking at mainly now, but I'd be worried because I struggled with organic chemistry (an elective I took).

So maybe switch concentrations? Stick it out and specialize in grad school or something? I'm just doubting my choice at this point. Thanks for any advice that can be offered! I just don't want to end up hating my job after graduation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try condensing this a little, as I'm not sure if I'm phrasing the questions right exactly...

- Are the types of topics covered in a mechanics of materials class, the meat of mechanical engineering? I keep hearing that the fundamental question ME's deal with is "will it bend or break?" Or is it possible to get a job focusing on more the thermo and energy side of things?

- What would the meat of a typical chemical engineering job be? Process control? How much chemistry is actually used on the job? If I struggle with chemistry, but enjoy the ChemE type engineering material, is that enough?

- Which one deals with more abstract and theoretical concepts?

- Is there a type of engineering that kind of combines both of them? Nuclear? Materials science?

crr14 said:
I don't know if this is how it is in other programs, but I was required to take the introductory classes for all the main concentrations (statics, dynamics, circuits , mass balances and energy balances, etc).

Seems pretty standard.

So basically, I'm just looking for any advice as to whether the subject matter of mechanics of materials is the most important thing in ME or if I can get a job that focuses mostly on the thermo side of things?

You can get a job in either. Thermodynamics is a very rich field in terms of mechanical engineering "relevance."

I know that the ChemE's at my school take a lot of thermo and heat transfer type classes as well, is it approached in the same way as in ME?

You'd have to look up the particulars for your institution, but my guess is they're fairly different. Keep in mind I'm no expert in either, but the Chemical engineering brand of thermodynamics usually has a reaction or chemical process context (unsurprisingly). For mechanical engineers you'd be dealing with things like engines, exhaust systems, cooling methods, more macro-scale issues.

1. What is engineering guidance?

Engineering guidance is a set of principles and guidelines that engineers use to make decisions and solve problems in their work. It includes technical knowledge, problem-solving skills, and ethical considerations.

2. Why is there a need for rethinking concentration in engineering guidance?

In recent years, there has been a shift in the role of engineers from simply designing and building structures to considering the social, environmental, and economic impacts of their work. Rethinking concentration in engineering guidance allows engineers to consider these broader factors and make more ethical and sustainable decisions.

3. How does rethinking concentration in engineering guidance benefit society?

Rethinking concentration in engineering guidance helps engineers to design and implement solutions that not only meet technical requirements, but also consider the needs and values of the community and the environment. This leads to more sustainable and socially responsible engineering projects that benefit society as a whole.

4. What are the key principles of rethinking concentration in engineering guidance?

The key principles of rethinking concentration in engineering guidance include: considering the social, environmental, and economic impacts of engineering projects, promoting ethical decision-making, valuing diversity and inclusion, and prioritizing sustainability and long-term benefits over short-term gains.

5. How can engineers incorporate rethinking concentration into their work?

Engineers can incorporate rethinking concentration into their work by continually educating themselves on social and environmental issues, collaborating with diverse stakeholders, and considering the long-term impacts of their decisions. They can also seek out ethical and sustainable solutions, and advocate for responsible engineering practices within their organizations and the industry as a whole.