Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering students score with pumpkin

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pumpkin-students-engineering-2631958-center-science [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn those dropped decimals.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We were aiming for the plywood?

Oh.. right... we just overshot it. My bad

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I love it! It's like Revenge of the Nerds all over again, finally getting even with the jocks and their fancy scoreboards while they had to make do with pumpkins and plywood. :biggrin:

6. Nov 3, 2009 #5
    Wow I remember back in the day making a potatoe launcher. A pumpkin launcher, now this could be a bit more interesting. :biggrin:

7. Nov 3, 2009 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dan Qualye is amonge us!

8. Nov 3, 2009 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) That is one wimpy scoreboard if a pumpkin punched a hole in it.

http://www.dailytitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pumpkin001-287x300.jpg [Broken]

2) What a lousy shot. They just barely hit the scoreboard.

3) What an ingenious design! Having the firing mechanism raise the elevation by the precise angle required to hit the scoreboard, thereby providing a plausible "accidental" clause.

4) Dan Quayle was an engineer?

9. Nov 3, 2009 #8

No. But he was a great spellere

10. Nov 3, 2009 #9
    Student 1:" We just finished that cannon we talked about in the Engineering club last week!"

Student 2:"Really, you actually built it?"

Student 1:"Yeah, it wasn't as hard as it looked."

Student 2:"How far can it shoot?"

Student 1:"I don't know. We put up a backstop and target at about 50 yards to try it out."

Student 2: "What did the math say?"

Student 1:"We didn't think we really needed the math, whats the worst that can happen?"

11. Nov 3, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Hopefully students involved will not work on any future Mars missions.

12. Nov 3, 2009 #11

IMP

When I read the title of this thread, I thought some engineering students had done some inappropriate things to a pumpkin and got caught. I am slightly relieved...

13. Nov 3, 2009 #12
    I dont understand how it could have possibly gone 3-4 times farther then they expected. If you factor in the fact that it only went 150 yards because it hit a high object who knows how far it was actualy gona go. Must have been the same crew that demo'd a car in my highschool auto class...

14. Nov 3, 2009 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My guess: either it hit about 2 feet lower than expected or this was the most pathetic engineering team in the competition. It is indeed possible to hit the bullseye with a perfect shot, as was demonstrated by the Society of Automotive Engineers in the 2008 competition.

An article previewing the event: http://calstate.fullerton.edu/news/2009/039-pumpkin-launch.html

Actually, I'm really disturbed having read the preview. I had no idea they were using pumpkins with faces on them! :cry:

15. Nov 3, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the article:
    :rofl: Might want to think twice before hiring engineers graduating from CSUF.

16. Nov 3, 2009 #15

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another group just set a world record of 4600 feet!

2027599.jpg

17. Nov 3, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right...they would have to call it the [STRIKE]Mars[/STRIKE] Saturn mission.

18. Nov 4, 2009 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Considering that's the Big 10 team, I would expect their distance to be longer than advertised (by at least 10%).

19. Nov 4, 2009 #18
    That is hilarious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook