Engineering students score with pumpkin

In summary: I had no idea they were using pumpkins with faces on them! :cry:In summary, a pumpkin shot from a makeshift cannon aimed at two plywood targets about 50 yards away, instead catapulted more than 120 yards across Titan Stadium at Cal State Fullerton, crashing through the scoreboard.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...In an engineering experiment gone awry, a pumpkin shot from a makeshift cannon aimed at two plywood targets about 50 yards away, instead catapulted more than 120 yards across Titan Stadium at Cal State Fullerton, crashing through the scoreboard...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pumpkin-students-engineering-2631958-center-science

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn those dropped decimals.

We were aiming for the plywood?

Oh.. right... we just overshot it. My bad

:rofl: I love it! It's like Revenge of the Nerds all over again, finally getting even with the jocks and their fancy scoreboards while they had to make do with pumpkins and plywood. :biggrin:

Wow I remember back in the day making a potatoe launcher. A pumpkin launcher, now this could be a bit more interesting. :biggrin:

Sorry! said:
Wow I remember back in the day making a potatoe launcher. A pumpkin launcher, now this could be a bit more interesting. :biggrin:

Dan Qualye is amonge us!

1) That is one wimpy scoreboard if a pumpkin punched a hole in it.

http://www.dailytitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pumpkin001-287x300.jpg

2) What a lousy shot. They just barely hit the scoreboard.

3) What an ingenious design! Having the firing mechanism raise the elevation by the precise angle required to hit the scoreboard, thereby providing a plausible "accidental" clause.

4) Dan Quayle was an engineer?

BobG said:
1) That is one wimpy scoreboard if a pumpkin punched a hole in it.

http://www.dailytitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pumpkin001-287x300.jpg

2) What a lousy shot. They just barely hit the scoreboard.

3) What an ingenious design! Having the firing mechanism raise the elevation by the precise angle required to hit the scoreboard, thereby providing a plausible "accidental" clause.

4) Dan Quayle was an engineer?

No. But he was a great spellere

Student 1:" We just finished that cannon we talked about in the Engineering club last week!"

Student 2:"Really, you actually built it?"

Student 1:"Yeah, it wasn't as hard as it looked."

Student 2:"How far can it shoot?"

Student 1:"I don't know. We put up a backstop and target at about 50 yards to try it out."

Student 2: "What did the math say?"

Student 1:"We didn't think we really needed the math, what's the worst that can happen?"

Hopefully students involved will not work on any future Mars missions.

When I read the title of this thread, I thought some engineering students had done some inappropriate things to a pumpkin and got caught. I am slightly relieved...

I don't understand how it could have possibly gone 3-4 times farther then they expected. If you factor in the fact that it only went 150 yards because it hit a high object who knows how far it was actualy gona go. Must have been the same crew that demo'd a car in my high school auto class...

magpies said:
I don't understand how it could have possibly gone 3-4 times farther then they expected. If you factor in the fact that it only went 150 yards because it hit a high object who knows how far it was actualy gona go. Must have been the same crew that demo'd a car in my high school auto class...

My guess: either it hit about 2 feet lower than expected or this was the most pathetic engineering team in the competition. It is indeed possible to hit the bullseye with a perfect shot, as was demonstrated by the Society of Automotive Engineers in the 2008 competition.

An article previewing the event: http://calstate.fullerton.edu/news/2009/039-pumpkin-launch.html

Actually, I'm really disturbed having read the preview. I had no idea they were using pumpkins with faces on them! :cry:

From the article:
"They had no idea how far it was going to go,'' Brush said. "You know, with engineering projects, they usually don't work out the first time."
:rofl: Might want to think twice before hiring engineers graduating from CSUF.

Another group just set a world record of 4600 feet!

2027599.jpg

Borek said:
Hopefully students involved will not work on any future Mars missions.

Right...they would have to call it the [STRIKE]Mars[/STRIKE] Saturn mission.

mgb_phys said:
Another group just set a world record of 4600 feet!

2027599.jpg

Considering that's the Big 10 team, I would expect their distance to be longer than advertised (by at least 10%).

lisab said:
Right...they would have to call it the [STRIKE]Mars[/STRIKE] Saturn mission.

That is hilarious.

1. What is the significance of engineering students scoring with pumpkins?

Engineering students scoring with pumpkins is a fun and creative way for students to apply their engineering skills to real-world challenges. It allows them to think outside the box and use their technical knowledge to achieve a goal in a unique and unconventional way.

2. How do engineering students use pumpkins in their projects?

Engineering students can use pumpkins in a variety of ways, such as creating pumpkin catapults, designing pumpkin launchers, or building pumpkin-themed machines. These projects require students to use principles of physics, mechanics, and design to successfully launch or move a pumpkin in a specific way.

3. What skills do engineering students develop through pumpkin projects?

Pumpkin projects allow engineering students to develop a range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, teamwork, and creativity. They also gain practical experience in applying their technical knowledge to real-world challenges, which can be valuable for their future careers.

4. Are there any benefits to using pumpkins in engineering projects?

Yes, there are many benefits to using pumpkins in engineering projects. It provides a fun and engaging way for students to learn and apply their skills, creates a sense of friendly competition among students, and allows for hands-on learning. It also promotes innovation and encourages students to think outside the box.

5. Can non-engineering students participate in pumpkin projects?

Yes, pumpkin projects can be a great opportunity for students from different disciplines to work together and learn from each other. Non-engineering students can contribute their unique perspectives and skills to the project, making it a truly interdisciplinary experience. It can also be a fun and inclusive activity for students of all backgrounds to participate in.

Back