Second place in English Expo speech competition

  • Thread starter Thread starter binzing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
binzing
Messages
281
Reaction score
0
Today I went down to Albuquerque and took part in a competition called English Expo and took 2nd place in one of my two events. My friend and fellow PFer Capslockroxx was there too and got 1st in one of his events.

I don't really know why I'm bothering to mention this, just felt like sharing I suppose...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
What was involved in this English Expo?

My particular events were Proofreading and Vocabulary, which were just multiple choice tests. Caps did Technical Writing (in which he wrote 4 pages about how to use a stapler, based upon a prompt) and Proofreading as well. We both failed miserably at proofreading for whatever reason, probably because we didn't study at all, but whatever. Anyways there's a whole variety of competitions, all relating to English of course.
 
Cool. Keep up the good work, learning how to write clearly is a very important skill!
 
Way to go, for both you and Caps. English classes have always been a thorn in my side.
 
That's pretty cool.. I used to enjoy English in school. What sort of vocabulary did you get tested on in your expo?
 
I used to enjoy English classes, too. I was probably one of the few that actually enjoyed diagramming sentences.

I was okay in vocabulary, just because I read a lot, but I didn't do particularly well in learning new vocabulary.
 
Binzing: If you're into competitive vocabbing, you might want to add this to your arsenal of vocab drivers - http://www.freerice.com/

I found it fun. It makes you think through possible etymological routes to figure out synonyms.
 
Thanks everyone.

It was just something to do really, and our advanced English teacher was going to give us extra cred. for doing it, so it was worthwhile.