1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Enough with Fabric of the Cosmos et. al. already

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    Anyone else getting tired of hearing about books like Road to Reality and Fabric of the Cosmos and everyone and their sister in highschool wanting to do string theory?

I really wish someone would write one of these books on like emergent phenomena in physics (like many-body stuff). That way people would get excited in a far bigger (and, IMHO more exciting) field of physics which is on a far more sound ground.

Just my two cents.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2
    I'm getting tired.

---

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think popular science is a good thing, since it at least somewhat engages with the public and tries to break down the barrier between what scientists do and the layperson's every day life. That said, if you'd like to write a "more exciting" book, then go ahead!

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    "The Road to Reality" is far removed from being one of the normal Pop Sci mag rack books that are a dime a dozen and try to hide as much real math and physics from the reader as possible. There need to be more books like this and less of the others.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5
    But they're all unified field theory stuff (and always pluggings the others GUT of choice). Why never plasma physics, condensed matter, etc. And I don't buy that GUT if "big questions" physics. More like unverifiable unapplyable physics

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me like those books need to be written by those doing research in those fields.
    Maybe you need to ask the "Roger Penrose"s or "Brian Greene"s of Plasma Physics, or of Condensed Matter, ...or maybe a pop-science writer...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook