Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entanglement: I am confused as to what actually happens in this process

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    I have recently been studying the topic of Entanglement, the process of so called "teleportation." A friend of mine and I have taken a huge interest in the teleportation area and when I came across a paper on the internet and read about the Innsbruck Experiment and such, I was confused. I understood the principles.

What confuses me is what happens to the original atom. If the atom is destroyed, then the process is really an illusion of teleportation, or so I have come to understand it.

My question is if there is a way of retaning the electromagnetic waves that make up our thoughts. If we found a way of preserving these, ideally our conciousness, and found a way to "integrate?" them into the new particle, would that be a successful teleportation or would it not work at all. Me and my friend have been trying to come up with a means of solving this problem all day, even coming up with our own theory of teleportation. So far, the most vexing part of the process would be the "murder" of the original participant. Is there any future at all for teleportation if this is the only achievable method?

:-Sorry if I got a bit off track, this is my first post and I hope to whatever deity is actually listening that I put it in the right area. I don't mind about complicated replies, the harder they are to understand, the more I learn ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2
    Half life?

OR Doom 3?

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Okay, with regards to quantum teleportation, what is being teleported is the state of the entangled quantum particle. That is, if the atom is in a particular configuration (in terms of spin, for example), then quantum teleportation merely transfers this configuration to another atom.

In a strict sense, quantum teleportation is a misnomer, but one that catches everyone's imagination, fascination and curiosity.

With regards to your question on teleporting someone, yes, the original person has to be "destroyed". In quantum mechanics, there is something called a No-Cloning Theorem, which states that you can never make a perfect clone of a quantum state, with the exception that the original state is destroyed.

I hope that sheds some light on your queries.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    Half-Life? Doom 3?
    What do you mean by Half-Life, i.e. where does radioactivity come into play here, and what do you mean by Doom 3? Isn't that a video-game?

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    Thanks a lot, Jackson Tan.
    Cleared up a lot of issues for me.

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6
    Indeed, a better name for it would be quantum duplication, and th notable thing about it is that classically you make copies by studying the original, and the copies are never perfectly identical, in quantum teleportation we make a perfect copy of the quantum state of a system and then transfer this state to another system without ever knowing the detailed of the original!

8. Mar 25, 2009 #7
    Yes, it's hardly accurate at all. I mean, you have to study the first duplicate to even find out what the first atom looks like, but thankfully, this part is possible.
    Thank God for polarisation! :!!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook