Enthalpy of Formation: Solve CO + O_2 to CO_2

  • Thread starter Thread starter ubiquinone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
ubiquinone
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hi, I have a question involving enthalphy of formation. I tried doing this problem but I couldn't seem to get the right answer. I was wondering if anyone here may please help me out. Thanks.

Question: How much heat is evolved when 13.39 moles of CO(g) is burned in excess oxygen.
[tex]2CO(g) + O_2(g)\rightarrow 2CO_2(g)[/tex]
Molar enthalpies are
[tex]CO=-110.5 kJ/mol[/tex]
[tex]O_2=0.0[/tex]
[tex]CO_2=-393.5 kJ/mol[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you figure out the Change of Enthalpy (change of H) of overall equation, and then multiply by 13.39 moles of CO to get energy (KJ).

just to make sure...

Change of H = [(2)(-110.5KJ)] -[(2)(-110.5KJ)] = ?? KJ

then mult ?? KJ by 13.39 mol

does it give you the right answer?? would like to know