How Is the Enthalpy of Formation for Lithium Fluoride Calculated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lori
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cycle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Lori

Homework Statement


calculate enthalpy of formation for lithium fluoride... LiF

Homework Equations


Given from the worksheet is:

Lithium sublimation = 129 kj/mol
Lithium first ionization = 520 kj/mol
bond-dissociation energy of fluorine is 159 kj/mol F2
electron affinity for fluorine is -328 kj/mol
lattice energy of LiF = -1047 kj/mol


The Attempt at a Solution


The chemical equations i wrote/figured out are:

Li(s) -> Li(g) 159 kj
Li(g) -> Li+(g) + e- 520 kj
1/2F2(g) - > F(g) -159 kj
F(g) + e- -> F-(g) -328 kj
Li+(g) + F-(g) -> LiF(s) -1047

When i added it all up to find enthalpy formation , i get -537 kj but the answer is -617. what did i do wrong?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Lori!

Shouldn't we have F2(g) - > 2F(g) -159 kJ, so that it only costs half?
And shouldn't Li+(g) + F-(g) -> LiF(s) have a positive energy that is released when we bring oppositely charged particles together?
And shouldn't F(g) + e- -> F-(g) have a positive energy as well, since the electron bonds naturally?
We should be consistent with the minus signs, shouldn't we? :rolleyes:
 
I like Serena said:
Hey Lori!

Shouldn't we have F2(g) - > 2F(g) -159 kJ, so that it only costs half?
And shouldn't Li+(g) + F-(g) -> LiF(s) have a positive energy that is released when we bring oppositely charged particles together?
And shouldn't F(g) + e- -> F-(g) have a positive energy as well, since the electron bonds naturally?
We should be consistent with the minus signs, shouldn't we? :rolleyes:
I'm confused why there sublimation would cost half though ;(
 
Lori said:
I'm confused why there sublimation would cost half though ;(
Aren't we talking about the bond-dissociation energy of F2?
 
I like Serena said:
Aren't we talking about the bond-dissociation energy of F2?
Oops I meant the bond dissociation . Yeah
 
Lori said:
Oops I meant the bond dissociation . Yeah

Isn't bond dissociation for F2, leaving us with 2 F atoms?
We can make 2 LiF with that.
So the cost for 1 LiF is half of that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lori
I like Serena said:
Isn't bond dissociation for F2, leaving us with 2 F atoms?
We can make 2 LiF with that.
So the cost for 1 LiF is half of that.
Oh it makes sense now. It's cause we only needed 1 so I took one half of the F so I should also take one half of the cost
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: I like Serena