Ephyra, Strobila and strobilation

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the terms and process involved in jellyfish development, including strobila, strobilation, ephyra, and medusa. The speaker corrects the listener's understanding of the order of these stages and clarifies that ephyra come after strobilation.
gracy
So,I want to understand all these terms .Well that doesn't actually mean I am all empty I have got some ideas about the terms.Just want a big "yes".
Ephyra is this
ephyra.jpg

And when all these are stacked up we get strobila,and the process of stacking this up is called strobilation.
Am i correct in all these.

Biology news on Phys.org
You are learning jellyfish - ology. The answer is "No".
Ephyra are the developmental stage just at the beginning of the medusa.

Polyps, not ephrya, stack up into strobila. Ephyra do not do this, they come after strobilation. Strobilation creates polyp colonies. Then you get medusa.

The order is: larva -> polyp -> polyp strobilate -> ephyra -> medusa

What is Ephyra?

Ephyra is the juvenile form of a jellyfish, also known as a "medusa". It is the stage of development between the larva and the adult jellyfish.

What is Strobila?

Strobila is the stationary, polyp-like stage of development in the life cycle of some jellyfish. It is the stage that comes after the larval stage and before the ephyra stage.

What is strobilation?

Strobilation is the process by which a polyp transforms into multiple ephyrae, which eventually develop into adult jellyfish. It involves the formation of transverse divisions along the length of the polyp.

How long does strobilation take?

The length of time it takes for strobilation to occur varies among different species of jellyfish. It can take anywhere from a few days to several months.

What is the purpose of strobilation?

Strobilation is a reproductive strategy for jellyfish. It allows them to produce a large number of offspring at once, increasing their chances of survival and dispersal in the ocean.