Epistemological Standards in Theory-Formation

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary: If so than that is your own business. But I don't think they are premature at all. Science has made many leaps and bounds in understanding the universe, and I believe it will continue to do so. So what we have is an element powerful in society because of how dependent we are on technology using that power to bully everybody into accepting physicalist/mechanist theory. And guess who are the "gurus" of mechanics? Yep, scientists. Isn't that quite convenient.Yes, it is convenient, but I don't think it is the only factor at play. And, to be honest, I think scientists are a little too quick to accept physicalism
I think this Pope stuff is getting way OT. But if you want to know, the Roman Catholic Church does not believe that inspiration ended with the apostles, there is also the communion of the saints. Throughout the history of the church various people have had visions where they received information from some saint, or most often from one or another manifestation of the Blessed Virgin (i.e. the Virgin Mary). And the Pope was declared by the First Vatican Council to be infallible when he speaks "ex cathedra" on matters of faith and morals. Not only may he receive inspirations himself but he is thought to be able to discern which inspirations of others are true and which false.

Not exactly experimentally accessible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rade said:
How does the Pope "know" the truth ?--he knows these words--John 14:6...Jesus said ...I am the truth...
How (ie by what means) does he know they are true? Where is the rigorous procedure that he uses for determining the truth of these words?

Best Regards