Epson printer Cartridge-Free Supertank option, any good?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 1K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,854
Reaction score
12,703
I am shopping for a new printer since our new Xfinity wireless router no longer recognizes our old printer.
Looking around I noticed this Epson feature in the title and am wondering of anyone has any experience with it.
I hate (strongly dislike) printer cartridges in general, but I wonder how long the printer head in the Epson set-up will work well, or if it can get changed out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to change your thread title to something a little less spamtastic. I almost skipped right past it, but I stopped in with the intent of reporting it for deletion.
 
Some HP printers seems to have this anti-useful option:
This printer is intended to work only with cartridges with original HP chips or circuitry and will block cartridges using non-HP chips or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of these measures.

That is annoying since I have often used cartridges not made by the printer company.
 
Last edited:
My wife has an Epson ET-2760 printer that refills from bottles. She has had it 2 or 3 years, and has made over 1000 copies, many in color. An ink head has malfunctioned once or twice a year, and the deep cleaning procedure has always brought it back.

The printing function has always worked well. The scanner is a PITA to use, so she does scanning on my HP laser printer. If you do scanning, check that feature very carefully. My old Epson ink jet had an excellent scanner. My current HP laser has a scanner that works well, except for setting the contrast. The scanner in the new color laser printer in the town hall office will not scan color to PDF.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and BillTre
BillTre said:
Some HP printers seems to have this anti-useful option:
This printer is intended to work only with cartridges with original HP chips or circuitry and will block cartridges using non-HP chips or circuitry. Periodic firmware updates will maintain the effectiveness of these measures.

That is annoying since I have often used cartridges not made by the printer company.
I found a way to defeat that - at least for my printer. They were identical except the no-name ones had a knob. I just cut it off with snips and it worked fine. That was years ago; they likely have more sophisticated methods now.
 
Although I remain interested in this subject, I recently found a work around for my printer refusing to match up with my new network.
The printer makes its own wireless network so I realized I could link directly with that network when I ant to print or scan.
Nevertheless, I will have to eventually find a new printer, but not today.

Thanks everyone for all the interesting info on printers, it will not have been in vain, in the long run.