Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for Solid Planet Structure

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    I'm looking for an radial equation to find the pressure or density of the interior of a moon or rock planet. It would involve Young's modulus or Poisson's ratio or something like. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Well, you should probably start with something more basic: the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium. This is relevant to models in which you model a planet or star as a ball of fluid, but also to models in which you model it as an (isotropic, inhomogeneous) elastic medium. I take it you are looking for a Newtonian model? There are many books on Newtonian models of stellar structure, also many books on geophysics.

4. Jan 16, 2007 #3
    There are books on geophysics? Really? Your reply is kind of a downer. I've solved hydrostatic eq'ns for spheres and I'm looking for a next thing to do.

5. Jan 20, 2007 #4

Obs

6. Jan 20, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

The next thing after fluid balls in hydrostatic equilibrium?

Hi, Helios,

Sorry if I underestimated your previous experience. Should I infer from your handle that you are particularly interested in stellar interiors? Would adding rotation whet your appetite? If so, if you know about McLaurin spheroids, I suppose the obvious next question is: have you studied Chandrasekhar, Selected Papers, esp. Vols 1, 4? That should keep you happy for a while!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  7. Jan 28, 2007 #6
    Hi Chris. I have Chandra's book "Stellar Interiors" and that's it. Out of it I'm trying to understand his explanation of composite polytropes. I don't get it and there are no examples.
    Anyway I'm looking for a solid planet equation that might resemble Emden's eq'n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?