Equation for Solid Planet Structure

In summary: If you are looking for a solid planet equation that resembles Emden's equation, you might want to try this one:In summary, an equation to find the pressure or density of the interior of a moon or rock planet would involve the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium.
Helios
I'm looking for an radial equation to find the pressure or density of the interior of a moon or rock planet. It would involve Young's modulus or Poisson's ratio or something like. Any help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, you should probably start with something more basic: the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium. This is relevant to models in which you model a planet or star as a ball of fluid, but also to models in which you model it as an (isotropic, inhomogeneous) elastic medium. I take it you are looking for a Newtonian model? There are many books on Newtonian models of stellar structure, also many books on geophysics.

There are books on geophysics? Really? Your reply is kind of a downer. I've solved hydrostatic eq'ns for spheres and I'm looking for a next thing to do.

Hi Helios!

Maybe this one is what you are looking for: http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1980LPSC...11.1999A&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf
I'm not so good at math and physics, so I don't really understand everything in the text. If you can use the formulas in the text to find density (and temperature), please tell me how!

Last edited by a moderator:
The next thing after fluid balls in hydrostatic equilibrium?

Hi, Helios,

Helios said:
There are books on geophysics? Really? Your reply is kind of a downer. I've solved hydrostatic eq'ns for spheres and I'm looking for a next thing to do.

Sorry if I underestimated your previous experience. Should I infer from your handle that you are particularly interested in stellar interiors? Would adding rotation whet your appetite? If so, if you know about McLaurin spheroids, I suppose the obvious next question is: have you studied Chandrasekhar, Selected Papers, esp. Vols 1, 4? That should keep you happy for a while!

Last edited:
Hi Chris. I have Chandra's book "Stellar Interiors" and that's it. Out of it I'm trying to understand his explanation of composite polytropes. I don't get it and there are no examples.
Anyway I'm looking for a solid planet equation that might resemble Emden's eq'n.

What is the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure"?

The "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" is a mathematical formula used to describe the internal structure of a planet, including its composition, density, and pressure. It is based on our current understanding of planetary formation and geology.

How is the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" derived?

The "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" is derived from a combination of theoretical models and observational data. Scientists use data from the Earth and other planets in our solar system to refine and improve the equation.

What factors are considered in the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure"?

The "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" takes into account factors such as the planet's mass, radius, temperature, and composition. These factors can vary greatly between different planets, resulting in different structures.

Can the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" be used for all planets?

No, the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" is primarily designed for rocky planets like Earth. Gas giants and other types of planets have different compositions and structures, so the equation may not accurately describe them.

Why is the "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" important?

The "Equation for Solid Planet Structure" is important because it helps us understand the internal workings of planets, including the formation and evolution of their structures. It also allows us to make predictions about other planets based on their known characteristics.