1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion and proper Significant Digits.

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the following to the proper number of significant figures:

a) A loaded truck has mass (2.12 X 10^4 +/- 6 X 10^2) kg and when empty, it has a mass of (1.72 X 10^4 +/- 5 X 10^2) kg. What is the relative uncertainty of the mass of the gravel dumped from the truck?

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I go through the math and get

Relative Uncertainty = (5 X 10^2 + 6 X 10^2) kg / 4000 = 0.275

My qwuestion is in regards to significant digits. According to me, the # of sig. figs. Here is 1……there is 1 sig. fig. in 5 X 10^2 or 6 X 10^2, whichever you look at, so the answer should be rounded off to one significant figure.

This means that the FINAL answer should be 0.3.

b) v(initial) = 10.5 m/s
    v(final) = -7.3 m/s
    t = 0.0115 s

Calculate a.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used v(final ) = v(initial) + at and got a = 1533 m/s^2.

Should the correct answer (rounded off to proper number of significant figures) be a = 1.53 X 10^3 m/s^2?

What about 1533 m/s^2 or 1530 m/s^2….would either of these be acceptable OR is the only answer 1.53 X 10^3 m/s^2?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    Your help would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am close but just need some help finishing off the problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?