Equilibrium constant and concentrations of HI, H2 and I2

In summary, the equilibrium constant, denoted as K, is a measure of the ratio of concentrations of products to reactants at equilibrium for a given chemical reaction. It is expressed as K = [HI] / ([H2][I2]) for the reaction between HI, H2, and I2. The equilibrium constant is directly affected by the concentrations of the reactants and products, and it remains constant only if the temperature is constant. Changes in temperature can significantly impact the equilibrium constant, with an increase in temperature favoring the products in an endothermic reaction and the reactants in an exothermic reaction. The value of the equilibrium constant can also provide information about the direction of a reaction, with a value less than
soulja101
At 350degress celcius the equilibrium constant is 70. at equlilibrium the concentration if HI is 1.32 mol/L and that of H2 is 0.100 mol/L.
what is the concentration of I2?
would it be 0.32?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to write out the equilibrium expression for which the constant is 70 before you can continue.

No, the concentration of I2 cannot be determined from the given information. The equilibrium constant, K, is a ratio of the concentrations of products (HI) to reactants (H2 and I2). It does not provide information about the individual concentrations of each component. Therefore, without knowing the initial concentrations or the reaction equation, it is not possible to calculate the concentration of I2.

1. What is the equilibrium constant for the reaction between HI, H2, and I2?

The equilibrium constant, denoted as K, is a measure of the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants at equilibrium for a given chemical reaction. For the reaction between HI, H2, and I2, the equilibrium constant is expressed as K = [HI] / ([H2][I2]).

2. How do the concentrations of HI, H2, and I2 affect the equilibrium constant?

The concentrations of HI, H2, and I2 directly impact the equilibrium constant. The equilibrium constant remains constant only if the temperature is constant. However, if the concentrations of any of the reactants or products are changed, the equilibrium constant will also change to maintain the equilibrium expression.

3. What happens to the equilibrium constant when the reaction is at equilibrium?

When the reaction reaches equilibrium, the equilibrium constant remains constant, as long as the temperature is constant. This means that the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants will remain the same, even if the individual concentrations change.

4. How do changes in temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

Changes in temperature can significantly impact the equilibrium constant. In an exothermic reaction (where heat is released), increasing the temperature will shift the equilibrium to the left, resulting in a decrease in the equilibrium constant. On the other hand, in an endothermic reaction (where heat is absorbed), increasing the temperature will shift the equilibrium to the right, resulting in an increase in the equilibrium constant.

5. How can the equilibrium constant be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

The value of the equilibrium constant can provide information about the direction of a reaction. If the equilibrium constant is less than 1, it indicates that the reaction favors the reactants at equilibrium. If the equilibrium constant is greater than 1, it indicates that the reaction favors the products at equilibrium. If the equilibrium constant is equal to 1, it suggests that the reactants and products are present in equal amounts at equilibrium.