Equilibrium Constant from Electrode Potentials

In summary, using the equations ΔG = -nFE and ΔGo = -nFEo, it is important to note that they are two different equations and should not be combined. At equilibrium, ΔG = 0 does not mean that Eo = 0, but rather that E = 0. The equilibrium constant for the formation of triodide ion can be calculated by using the Nernst equation, where E = Eo - (0.059*logQ)/n = 0.
zorro

Homework Statement

Evaluate the equilibrium constant for the formation of triodide ion.

I2 + I- ------> I3-

a 298K, if EI2|I-o = 0.6197V and EI3-|I-o=0.5355V

I don't understand one thing - At equilibrium, ΔG=0 so that Eocell=0 (from the equation ΔG=-nfE) but Eocell is not zero for the above reaction. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
I don't understand one thing - At equilibrium, ΔG=0 so that Eocell=0 (from the equation ΔG=-nfE) but Eocell is not zero for the above reaction. Where is my mistake?
[tex]\Delta[/tex]Go = -nFEo and [tex]\Delta[/tex]G = -nFE are two different equations.You are combining them.At equilibrium [tex]\Delta[/tex]G=0 doesn't
mean that Eo=0 but it means E=0 i.e. electric potential at that time is equal to zero.Eo is constant quantity for any reaction and if it becomes zero the reaction can't proceed.For calculation of equilibrium constant just use the above result in nerst equation ie at equilibrium

E = Eo - (0.059*logQ)/n = 0 [Q= equilibrium constant]

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

1. What is the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials?

The equilibrium constant from electrode potentials, also known as the Nernst equation, is a mathematical expression that relates the electrode potential of a reaction to the equilibrium constant of that reaction. It is used to calculate the equilibrium constant at any given temperature, and can also be used to determine the direction of a redox reaction.

2. How is the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials calculated?

The equilibrium constant from electrode potentials is calculated using the Nernst equation: E = E° - (0.0592/n)log(Q), where E is the measured electrode potential, E° is the standard electrode potential, n is the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, and Q is the reaction quotient. This equation takes into account the standard conditions and the concentration of reactants and products at equilibrium.

3. What is the relationship between electrode potential and equilibrium constant?

The electrode potential and equilibrium constant are directly related. As the electrode potential becomes more positive, the equilibrium constant increases, indicating that the reaction is more favorable in the forward direction. On the other hand, as the electrode potential becomes more negative, the equilibrium constant decreases, indicating that the reaction is more favorable in the reverse direction.

4. How do changes in temperature affect the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials?

Changes in temperature can affect the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials because the Nernst equation includes temperature as a variable. As the temperature increases, the value of Q in the equation changes, leading to a different value for the equilibrium constant. In general, an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction.

5. What are some limitations of using the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials?

One limitation of using the equilibrium constant from electrode potentials is that it assumes ideal conditions, such as constant temperature and pressure. In reality, these conditions may vary and affect the accuracy of the calculated equilibrium constant. Additionally, the Nernst equation assumes that the reaction is in a state of dynamic equilibrium, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios.