1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Free energy change and Equilibrium constant (K)

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    1. I have a question regarding the equation ΔG° = -RT lnK. When solving for the equilibrium constant K, what is the relationship between the vapor pressure of each molecular compound in a reaction?

ΔG° = Free energy change
    R = Universal gas constant
    T = Temperature
    K = equilibrium constant
    *K can be solved for in concentration or pressure or solubility

2. Meaning, for the reaction aA(s) + bB(g) --> cC(g) + dD(g) where the lower case coefficients are the number of moles and the upper case coefficients are the molecular compounds. Assuming I solved for ΔG at a specific temperature and then solved for K If I wanted to find the the vapor pressure or the concentration of bB how would I relate the value of the equilibrium constant K to solve for B?

My thought is that 1/Bb = K. Is this correct?

There is a specific applied problem from where my question is derived, so if anyone would like me to post it to clarify areas where I may not be explicit enough, I can.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

C and D are gases as well, so they are part of K as well.

Hard to say what you are expected to do not knowing the problem, but typically you should find C and D from the stoichiometry (for example using ICE table).

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3
    Here's the problem:

A humidity sensor consists of a cardboard square that is colored blue in dry weather and red in humid weather. The color change is due to the reaction:

CoCl2(s) + 6 H2O(g) ⇌ [Co(H2O)6]Cl2(s)

For this reaction at 25 °C, ΔH° = -352 kJ/mol and ΔS° = -899 J/(K mol). Assuming that ΔH and ΔS are independent of temperature, what is the vapor pressure of water (in mm Hg) at equilibrium for the above reaction at 35 °C on a hot summer day?

I used the equation ΔG° = ΔH° - TΔS° at T = 35°C = 308.15 K. So, ΔG = -74973.15 J

Then, I used ΔG° = - RTlnK and solved for K at T = 308.15 Kelvin. Thus, K = 5.5 x 1012 atm.

This is where I am confused and had to look up the solution: 1/(H2O)6 = 5.5 x 1012. They then solved for H2O

I think I actually just understood what they did. wow. So if there was more than one gas in the equation then I would need more information to solve for the pressure of water because there would be more than one variable?

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted