Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium in a closed pop bottle

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Why is a sealed pop bottle said to be in a state of equilibrium, while an opened bottle is not?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2
    This is a bit of a semantic problem.

Thermodynamically, a system can only be in equilibrium with another system (this is, in fact, used to define temperature, the basic variable in thermodynamics).
    Mechanically, a system is in equilibrium if the function that describes it does not change with time.
    There is also chemical equilibrium and a host of other interpretations - I'm sure other disciplines have their own definitions of "equilibrium" as well. I'm not sure which meaning your usage carries, so I can't really give you a full answer.

My guess is that by "equilibrium" the statement refers to "stationary", i.e., a system whose variables do not change in time appreciably. If that is the case, the closed bottle's properties (temperature, e.g.) are much less affected by the external surroundings compared to the open bottle and are therefore "constant to a degree".

--------
    Assaf
    Physically Incorrect

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you observe any changes to the contents of a closed pop bottle? How about the contents of an open one?

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think pinky's question refers to the equilibrium of dissolved CO2 in the system.

6. Dec 4, 2007 #5
    Arrrgh, after typing so much :rofl:.

--------
    Assaf
    Physically Incorrect

7. Dec 4, 2007 #6
    um..so in a sealed pop bottle, what happens to the dissolved co2? it definately stays in..any idea?

8. Dec 4, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What grade/level is this at?

What do you know about Henry's Law?

9. Dec 5, 2007 #8
    this is a grade 12 question. I have not studied about Henry's Law..This has to do with the elements inside the bottle im guessing. If a closed bottle is at equi, then the components keep on forming again and again.

10. Dec 5, 2007 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Describe what happens when you open a bottle of pop. BTW, we call that 'soda' down here in Texas.

11. Dec 5, 2007 #10
    when a soda bottle is opened, Co2 rushes out..

12. Dec 5, 2007 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

After the initial pressure is released, what happens? Does this seem like it is in equilibrium?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?