Equilibrium in a closed pop bottle

In summary: When you open a sealed pop bottle, the pressure inside the bottle is released. This causes the CO2 in the Bottle to rush out. The bottle is said to be in equilibrium because the CO2 levels remain constant.
pinkyjoshi65
Why is a sealed pop bottle said to be in a state of equilibrium, while an opened bottle is not?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a bit of a semantic problem.

Thermodynamically, a system can only be in equilibrium with another system (this is, in fact, used to define temperature, the basic variable in thermodynamics).
Mechanically, a system is in equilibrium if the function that describes it does not change with time.
There is also chemical equilibrium and a host of other interpretations - I'm sure other disciplines have their own definitions of "equilibrium" as well. I'm not sure which meaning your usage carries, so I can't really give you a full answer.

My guess is that by "equilibrium" the statement refers to "stationary", i.e., a system whose variables do not change in time appreciably. If that is the case, the closed bottle's properties (temperature, e.g.) are much less affected by the external surroundings compared to the open bottle and are therefore "constant to a degree".

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you observe any changes to the contents of a closed pop bottle? How about the contents of an open one?

ozymandias said:
This is a bit of a semantic problem.

Thermodynamically, a system can only be in equilibrium with another system (this is, in fact, used to define temperature, the basic variable in thermodynamics).
Mechanically, a system is in equilibrium if the function that describes it does not change with time.
There is also chemical equilibrium and a host of other interpretations - I'm sure other disciplines have their own definitions of "equilibrium" as well. I'm not sure which meaning your usage carries, so I can't really give you a full answer.

I think pinky's question refers to the equilibrium of dissolved CO2 in the system.

Arrrgh, after typing so much :rofl:.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
um..so in a sealed pop bottle, what happens to the dissolved co2? it definitely stays in..any idea?

What grade/level is this at?

What do you know about Henry's Law?

this is a grade 12 question. I have not studied about Henry's Law..This has to do with the elements inside the bottle I am guessing. If a closed bottle is at equi, then the components keep on forming again and again.

Describe what happens when you open a bottle of pop. BTW, we call that 'soda' down here in Texas.

when a soda bottle is opened, Co2 rushes out..

pinkyjoshi65 said:
when a soda bottle is opened, Co2 rushes out..

After the initial pressure is released, what happens? Does this seem like it is in equilibrium?

1. What is equilibrium in a closed pop bottle?

Equilibrium in a closed pop bottle refers to the state where the amount of carbon dioxide gas being produced by the reaction of the soda and the air is equal to the amount of carbon dioxide gas escaping from the bottle. This results in a balance between the pressure inside and outside of the bottle, leading to no further changes in the amount of gas.

2. How does equilibrium occur in a closed pop bottle?

Equilibrium occurs in a closed pop bottle due to the process of diffusion. The carbon dioxide gas produced by the reaction between the soda and air diffuses out of the bottle, while the carbon dioxide gas in the air outside the bottle diffuses into the bottle. This leads to a balance between the pressure inside and outside of the bottle, resulting in equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect equilibrium in a closed pop bottle?

The factors that can affect equilibrium in a closed pop bottle include temperature, pressure, and the concentration of carbon dioxide in the soda. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the rate of diffusion, leading to a faster establishment of equilibrium. Additionally, a higher concentration of carbon dioxide in the soda can lead to a higher rate of production of the gas, which can affect the equilibrium state.

4. How can you observe equilibrium in a closed pop bottle?

To observe equilibrium in a closed pop bottle, you can use a pressure gauge to measure the pressure inside the bottle. If the pressure remains constant over time, it indicates that equilibrium has been reached. Additionally, you can observe the rate of bubbles escaping from the soda. Once the rate of escaping bubbles slows down and eventually stops, it indicates that equilibrium has been established.

5. Why is understanding equilibrium in a closed pop bottle important?

Understanding equilibrium in a closed pop bottle is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the principles of diffusion and gas laws. It also allows us to predict and control the behavior of gases in a closed system, which has practical applications in industries such as food and beverage packaging. Additionally, understanding equilibrium can also help us prevent accidents, such as explosions, that can occur due to an imbalance in pressure inside a closed bottle.