Safe to Empty a "Pee Bottle" After 13 Days?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Empty
In summary, this conversation is about whether or not it is safe to drink human urine. The person believes that it is safe, but warns that it might contain bacteria that can make you sick.
kyphysics
So, another poster triggered this question in my mind when saying old urine can smell like ammonia.

If this is TMI (talking about urine), please feel free to tune out of this thread. :-p

For those sticking around, I use a pee bottle at times on the road (this was even pre-COVID, before restrooms were shut or just sketchy to go into with the virus) for a variety of convenience reasons. USUALLY, I empty it promptly. The last time, mine got left aside, as I had a medical issue I had to deal with and life got busy.

The gross part: It's been about two weeks and I was planning to just throw the bottle away (like at a random shopping center trash can). However, someone said urine doesn't have bacteria. Would it actually be safe to open that bottle up and empty it (into a toilet! ...not sink, of course)? Would some weird chemical reaction have taken place already inside or happen once the fluid is exposed to air after so much time, such that I could get sick from inhaling the pee bottle's content's air? If some accidentally slashed on my skin when emptying it, would it corrode my skin and give me some disease or what not? Is is really true that urine has no bacteria?

Thanks for satisfying my purely scientific curiosity. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is safe to empty it into the toilet, although I would not bathe in the bottle content.

That might be your chance to learn what ammonia smells like.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
1603987654162.png

Thought I would do you a favor and respond so these two threads were no longer consecutive...

• Haha
Likes berkeman
I think it's actually safe to consume human urine, provided the person donating it isn't ill. But after a while I'm sure some bacterial growth occurs. And it sure stinks.

There are worse hazards. I took a bunch of old paint and solvents to the hazardous waste dump recently. One of them must have been leaking slightly because I got a huge solvent high on the drive over, even with the windows all down. It was just a ten minute drive. But if you used pee as a metric I probably sniffed the hazardous equivalent of pee that was 100 years old for two weeks non-stop.

Just flush it and clean out the bottle. If it's really that gross to you throw the whole thing away.

Borek said:
It is safe to empty it into the toilet, although I would not bathe in the bottle content.

That might be your chance to learn what ammonia smells like.
I'll pass on the ammonia smell after reading about it in that other thread.

The "bottle" is actually a decent one from Target (a fancier one). It's fine. I'll chuck it!

JT Smith said:
I think it's actually safe to consume human urine, provided the person donating it isn't ill. But after a while I'm sure some bacterial growth occurs. And it sure stinks.
My thought is that even if urine itself were bacteria free, wouldn't the ...ehhhh...skin on the body part from which it's going to flow from very likely have bacteria on it (esp. given it's proximity to another area of the body) and that the occasional contact with the skin upon flowing out would likely carry along some bacteria with it?

kyphysics said:
My thought is that even if urine itself were bacteria free, wouldn't the ...ehhhh...skin on the body part from which it's going to flow from very likely have bacteria on it (esp. given it's proximity to another area of the body) and that the occasional contact with the skin upon flowing out would likely carry along some bacteria with it?

I think that's true, that urine is sterile or nearly so in a healthy person up until the point that it passes through that last little bit of the plumbing. But -- and I apologize for being indelicate -- oral contact with that that last bit of plumbing wouldn't necessarily be harmful to another person either.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
Pretty bizarre conversation. Urine - barring UTI - is generally sterile.

Dilute @ 10:1 and dump it onto a patch of grass. Observe grass growth over the next few weeks.

Or, use it to wash windows, tan leather, etc.

hmmm27 said:
Or, use it to wash windows...

Not in my house! :-)

JT Smith said:
Not in my house! :-)
Downstairs neighbours complaining, again ?

Preemptive thread closure before jokes get to the level we will be all ashamed of.

• Haha
Likes BillTre

1. Is it safe to empty a pee bottle after 13 days?

Yes, it is safe to empty a pee bottle after 13 days. However, it is recommended to empty the bottle more frequently to avoid any potential health risks.

2. Can bacteria grow in a pee bottle after 13 days?

Yes, bacteria can grow in a pee bottle after 13 days. The longer the urine sits, the more time bacteria have to multiply. It is important to properly clean and disinfect the bottle regularly to prevent bacterial growth.

3. What are the potential health risks of leaving urine in a bottle for 13 days?

Leaving urine in a bottle for 13 days can increase the risk of bacterial growth, which can lead to urinary tract infections or other health issues. It can also cause unpleasant odors and potentially attract insects or pests.

4. How often should a pee bottle be emptied?

Ideally, a pee bottle should be emptied at least once a day. If this is not possible, it is recommended to empty the bottle every 2-3 days to prevent bacterial growth and maintain hygiene.

5. Are there any precautions to take when emptying a pee bottle after 13 days?

When emptying a pee bottle after 13 days, it is important to wear gloves and use proper disinfectants to minimize the risk of exposure to bacteria. It is also recommended to thoroughly clean and disinfect the bottle before using it again.