Equivalence of two sine arguments

In summary, Hecht in his optics mentions that the expressions Asin(kx-wt+pi) and Asin(wt-kx) are equivalent, with w being the Greek letter omega. When asked about the reason behind this, the conversation turns to the identity sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+sin(b)cos(a), which is applied in this case. Both parties agree that this approach is simpler and more efficient than other methods.
acherentia

Homework Statement

Hecht in his optics mentions that Asin(kx-wt+pi) is equivalent to Asin(wt-kx)
w=greek omega

Homework Equations

What is the fundamental reason behind this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a hunch it's plain trigonometry applied, but none of the things that I can think of bring up this result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the identity sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+sin(b)cos(a)?

yes, i do it works that way and thank you very much. I solved it too with a geometrical argument on the trig circle, but i like your approach much better.

1. What is the definition of "equivalence of two sine arguments"?

The equivalence of two sine arguments refers to the relationship between two angles or values that produce the same sine value. In other words, if two angles or values have the same sine value, then they are considered equivalent in terms of sine.

2. How do you determine if two sine arguments are equivalent?

To determine if two sine arguments are equivalent, you can use the trigonometric identity of sine: sin(x) = sin(y). This means that if two angles or values, x and y, have the same sine value, then they are equivalent.

3. Can two different angles have the same sine value?

Yes, two different angles can have the same sine value. This is because the sine function is a periodic function, meaning it repeats itself at regular intervals. Therefore, there can be multiple values for an angle that produce the same sine value.

4. What is the importance of understanding the equivalence of two sine arguments?

Understanding the equivalence of two sine arguments is important in solving trigonometric equations and problems. It allows us to find equivalent angles or values that produce the same sine value, making it easier to solve equations and understand the relationship between different angles.

5. How can the equivalence of two sine arguments be applied in real-world situations?

The equivalence of two sine arguments can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to calculate the angles of elevation and depression in surveying and construction, or to analyze the motion of objects in projectile motion problems. It is also used in navigation and astronomy to determine the position of celestial bodies based on their sine values.