Summing Waves Using Complex Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of two waves using the complex-number representation and interpreting the result. The solution involves rewriting one of the waves with a phase shift and using relevant equations for cosine and sine. The final result shows that the waves destructively interfere, resulting in a value of 0.
cpmiller

Homework Statement

Carry out the addition of two waves Ψ=Ψ12 where
Ψ1 = Asin[(k+δk)x - (w+δw)t]
Ψ2 = Acos[(k-δk)x - (w-δw)t]
by means of the complex-number representation and interpret the result.
(Hint: You may find it convenient to rewrite the sine as a cosine by introducing a phase shift in the argument.

Homework Equations

Re{e (iΘ) } = cos Θ = [e (iΘ) + e (-iΘ) ]/2
Im{e (iΘ) } = sin Θ = [e (iΘ) - e (-iΘ) ]/(2i)

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote Ψ1 using a Pi/2 as a phase shift. So I got

Ψ1 = Acos[(k+δk)x - (w+δw)t + (Pi/2)]

Then I applied the above relevant equation for cosine being the real part of the complex equation to get
Ψ1 = A Re{e i[(k+δk)x - (w+δw)t + (Pi/2)] }
Ψ2 = A Re{e i[(k-δk)x - (w-δw)t] }

So summing yields:

Ψ12 = A Re{ei[(k+δk)x - (w+δw)t + (Pi/2)] + ei[(k-δk)x - (w-δw)t] }

Pulling out the like terms of eikx and e-iwt yields:

Ψ = A Re { [e i[δkx - δwt + Pi/2] + e-i[δkx - δwt] * ei(kx-wt) }

"Simplifiying" yields:

Ψ = A Re { [eiPi/2 * ei[δkx - δwt]+ e-i[δkx - δwt]] * ei(kx-wt) }

So we have

Ψ = A Re { [-e i[δkx - δwt] + e -i[δkx - δwt] ] * e i(kx-wt) }

Now I'm not sure what to do with the part in the bolded brackets. I could call it 2i Sin (δkx - δwt) which would be an imaginary part, so taking the real value of an imaginary part yields 0. Which would physically mean that my waves would destructively interfere, but I'm not sure that I can stick the 2i in like that. I wouldn't have a problem putting a 2 in, but I'm not sure if it's okay to multiply by i, or if I need to have the i already there.

Thanks for wading through all this algebra with me!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cpmiller! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
cpmiller said:
Ψ = A Re { [-e^i[δkx - δwt] + e^-i[δkx - δwt] ] * e^i(kx-wt) }

Now I'm not sure what to do with the part in the bolded brackets. I could call it 2i Sin (δkx - δwt) which would be an imaginary part, so taking the real value of an imaginary part yields 0. …

No, Re {[iB] ei(kx-wt)} ≠ Re {[iB]} Re {ei(kx-wt)} :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi cpmiller! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Thanks for the response:smile: I went back and used your suggestion to try to make my original post a bit more "user friendly." Your answer helped a lot and I managed to figure the problem out this morning!

cpmiller said:
Thanks for the response:smile: I went back and used your suggestion to try to make my original post a bit more "user friendly." Your answer helped a lot and I managed to figure the problem out this morning!

ooh, that's neat! :tongue2:

Please accept this present of a pi and an omega for future efforts: π ω :wink:

1. What is complex notation?

Complex notation is a mathematical representation of a complex number in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Complex notation is used to represent and manipulate complex numbers in a more concise and efficient way.

2. How do you sum waves using complex notation?

To sum waves using complex notation, you first need to represent each wave as a complex number. Then, you can simply add the complex numbers together to get the resultant wave. This method is particularly useful when dealing with waves that have different frequencies and phases.

3. What advantages does complex notation have in summing waves?

Complex notation allows for a more efficient and concise representation of waves, making it easier to manipulate and analyze them. It also simplifies the process of summing waves with different frequencies and phases, which can be difficult using traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using complex notation in summing waves?

While complex notation is a powerful tool for summing waves, it is limited to linear systems. This means that it may not accurately represent waves in non-linear systems, such as those with high amplitudes or when dealing with wave interactions.

5. How is complex notation used in other areas of science?

Complex notation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in representing and analyzing electromagnetic waves, quantum mechanics, and systems with multiple variables and dimensions.