1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalency: particle with energy

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

from wiki:
    E=mc^2

I'm still having trouble conceptualizing this equivalence. If the wiki article speaks true:

If a particle is in a higher energy state, it's actually more massive than the same particle in a lower energy state?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup! :biggrin:

A spinning flywheel is "heavier" to push than a non-spinning one.

If a body absorbs radiation by heating up, it is more massive.

Same if it absorbs radiation by having electrons in more energetic states. :wink:

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

That sounds like an inertial statement. What about gravity? Is the force between a higher-energy particle and the Earth greater than a force between the same particle (in a lower energy state) and the Earth?

So does this mean that somewhere down the line we will be able to construct a mass generator and exploit dm/dt in all kinds of different ways?

5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is an inertial statement.
    Now you're talking about the equivalence principle, of general relativity, and the equality of inertial mass and gravitational mass …

I suspect the wikipedia article (you didn't provide a link) is only talking about inertial mass and special relativity.
    Sorry, not following you. :redface:

6. Dec 30, 2009 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

ok, separating the two helps, thanks.

In terms of technology I was asking if it implied that we could theoretically create matter with electricity one day.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook