1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Error propagation of exponentials

1. Mar 19, 2016 #1
    I am just wondering why there is a discrepancy between two different methods for error propagation. For example, if you have ## Q = (a)(b)(c) ## then the relative error in Q is simply the square root of the sum of the squares of each of the terms being multiplied together, correct? But what if ## Q = (a)(a)(a) ##. Why isn't the relative error in Q now simply once again the square root of the sum of the squares of a (which in this case would be 3 terms)? I understand the derivation for the relative error in ## Q = a^3 ## being ## 3 \frac {\Delta a}{a} ## but just don't quite understand why the earlier rule pertaining to basic multiplication and division no longer applies. What is the reason for a discrepancy between the two methods of error propagation? Can't exponentiation (using positive integers) be considered as just an extension of multiplication?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2016 #2
    Notice that in Q = (a)(b)(c) the terms a, b and c are considered to be independent in the sense that the error of one of them is independent from the error to another. But if a = b = c then the "three" terms are not independent.

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

One suggestion is to consider a function like S=(A+B)^2 where A and B are two variables that can each take on the values of +1 and -1. If A and B are uncorrelated, you will have less spread in the S distribution than if A=B. In computing experimental uncertainties, often the "delta" is just an estimate and it can be difficult to account for correlations in the variables that are often considered to have random uncertainties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted