Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error reboot and select proper boot device

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    I have Main board Intel D865GVHZ HDD40GBWestern digital RAM256MB Processor intel 1.7ghz running WINXPsp2. When swiching on the system after POST before loading windows I got error massage " Reeboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device " When I restart Ctrl+Alt+Del its load windows with no problems, always happen when turning on the system after last shutdown.No changes made prior to the error. I tried the followings with no lucky,
    HDD diagnosis utility with no error found on the drive,
    Repaire windows with windows XP CD,
    Format the drive and clean install,
    Run Fixmbr from recovery console,
    Run Fixboot from recovery console,
    Update BIOS with the latest Update from Intel,
    After all those still no lucky Any Ideas will hell me and others as well!!!:surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    It could be a hardware problem and one of the cables is not seated correctly. Or the HD is taking little too long to initialize. Ensure the boot sequence is configured correctly in the BIOS instructions that govern the startup routine.
  4. Dec 2, 2005 #3
  5. Dec 2, 2005 #4

Thanks!! Your write!! Its a hardware problem. I have just tried to swap the HDD with another one and replace the cable but the problem is still exist!! :grumpy: That means there is no problem with neither HDD nor cable. But what esle could be the prob? Please advice!!
  6. Dec 2, 2005 #5
    You replaced the HD with another and got the same error? Did you clone your OS onto the other HD? If not sounds like a Mother board problem somewhere..
  7. Dec 6, 2005 #6
    No. I did not clone my OS, Its realy sound like Mother board prob. But what exactly could be the prob. What is the fix!! Do u mean I have to replace my MB?
  8. Dec 6, 2005 #7

Science Advisor

It's possibly a problem with your BIOS settings. Perhaps the BIOS is not correctly configured to find your hard drive, so the BIOS may have to search for it every time. I don't think it's a hardware problem, more of a setup problem.
  9. Dec 6, 2005 #8
    What is the make and model of you PC... Typically well known brands, especially geared to business, have hardware fault testing CD's that you can boot into... If you PC is under warrenty they should change your faulty hardware (if it ends up being that).. it could well be a BIOS problem, that sounds feasible.. I would do as Job says and check your boot sequence first.. and make sure there isnt strange going on in your BIOS..
  10. Dec 12, 2005 #9
    Yes Job!! I conferm that Its's really a problem with the BIOS settings!. I have already double check with BIOS settings and I found out after every atempt to switch on the PC and went directly to the BIOS settings(Boot priority) The hard disk is not detected. BTW when I restart the system the hard disk is detected. I have also try to replace the new CMOS battery with no lucky. What changes I have to do to make the CMOS settings to remain after switch off? Please advice!!
  11. Dec 8, 2006 #10
    I have basically the same problem with a few differences... I have an Intel D865Perl board. i get the same error however disks have activity. i check boot sequence in setup and the bios shows them as Not Detected. I pulled the BIOS Configuration jumper and loaded my BIOS recovery diskette but problem is still there. The only change i made was flash update about a month ago. have not had any issues until today. I still believe it is a setup issue but do not know what else to try... HELP PLEASE
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?