Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estim. dark energy up by 3 percentage points. Any reaction?

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

When people cite the dark energy fraction informally (without errorbar) and other basic parameters they often have been saying something like

Hubble 71
    dark energy 73%
    dark matter 23%
    baryonic 4%

If I remember right, those are the default values used in the calculator at Ned Wright's website.

Now in this 7 March paper by Michael Turner et al, right in the abstract up front I see

dark energy 76%
    dark matter 20%
    baryonic 4%

So are these new values that one should quote informally? Given the uncertainty it doesn't seem very different to say 76 instead of 73, but even though it is just a rough estimate I'd like to be aligned with the mainest of the stream---and keep the jarring dissonance to a minimum. So what numbers to you say?

Michael Turner recent:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.0982

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    Cosmology is a field I haven't studied in detail. I have only gone through it enough to know generally what cosmologist are talking about and why. For me my interest in cosmology is limited to what it can provide as a testing ground. Since I don't have any ideas (wild ass guesses) that require these parameters at the moment the ball park figure is fine with me. However, as a cosmologist, keeping abreast and using the best numbers from the best available data is important. Given the authors and the following quotes under "10.1 Take-home facts":

I would go with these figures.

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't really know where that figure has come from; I guess it depends on what data set you're using. I know the recent WMAP data had omega_lambda 0.74 on its own, and that shrunk to about 0.72 when including other data sets (namely the BAO and SN data). I've not read the Turner paper, though, so I can't really comment on that; perhaps someone else can?

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Wallace

Science Advisor

The precise numbers still depend on which data sets are used. For instance see the series of tables here that show the values obtained using WMAP5 + many different combinations of other data. The best fit values for dark energy vary between 0.7 and almost 0.8 depending on which data sets are used!

There are a bunch of extensions to the basic LCDM such as non flat models, different dark energy models etc that are also covered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?